CHAPTER 39: ALEX

I couldn't make sense of what just happened, Alya would never- what happened to her today? Morning also everything seemed fine, Was it Elizabeth as she is the only one Alya met today. As I rushed to find Elizabeth, my mind raced with questions, trying to make sense of the turmoil that had engulfed my world. What could have possibly transpired between Alya and Elizabeth to lead to this devastating outcome? The thought of losing Alya, filled me with an overwhelming sense of dread.

Finding Elizabeth alone in the room, I wasted no time in confronting her, desperate for answers to the questions that tormented me. "What did you say to Alya?" I demanded, my voice tinged with a hint of urgency.

But instead of the answers I sought, I was met with a sharp slap across my cheek by Elizabeth. The shock of her actions reverberated through me, leaving me momentarily stunned.

"Aren't you ashamed?" Elizabeth's voice was filled with scorn as she glared at me. "You're 34 years old, and she's just 23, Alex. Have some dignity. She's your step niece, my step daughter, for God's sake."

I bristled at her words, the weight of her accusations heavy upon me.

"I asked what did you say to Alya?" I repeated, my tone laced with a hint of danger as I pressed for the truth.

Elizabeth's gaze hardened, her expression unyielding as she met my eyes squarely. "I asked her to break up with you," she admitted, her words landing like a heavy blow to my chest.

The air seemed to crackle with tension as her confession hung between us, the weight of her words settling over me like a suffocating shroud. In that moment, the pieces of the puzzle fell into place, and I understood why Alya did, what she did now.

Fury churned within me as Elizabeth's admission sank in. "You asked her to break up with me?" I repeated, my voice low and dangerous.

Elizabeth's expression remained stoic, unyielding in the face of my accusation. "Yes," she affirmed, her tone defiant. "And I'd do it again if I had to."

The audacity of her words only fueled my anger further. "How could you?" I demanded, my voice rising with each word. "You had no right to interfere in our relationship."

Her eyes flashed with defiance as she met my gaze head-on. "She is Suman's daughter, Alex. My daughter. I did what was best for Alya," she countered, her tone unapologetic. "She deserves better than to be caught up in some scandal with her step-uncle."

I scoffed, "Better? You think tearing us apart is better for her?" I shot back, my frustration boiling over. "You have no idea what Alya and I mean to each other."

Elizabeth's resolve wavered slightly, a flicker of doubt crossing her features. "You both have gone mad, Alex," she insisted, her voice softer now. "I am trying to protect her here."

My anger simmered beneath the surface, threatening to erupt into something uncontrollable. "You think you know what's best for her?" I retorted, my voice trembling with emotion. "You've only succeeded in destroying her happiness."

"I couldn't stand by and watch her make the biggest mistake of her life," she said as her voice raised.

"A mistake?" I scoffed, unable to contain my disbelief. "Our relationship was no mistake, Elizabeth. It was real, it was beautiful and was the most real thing I ever had in life."

Elizabeth's words cut through the air like a knife, her voice laced with accusation. "Stop with the drama, She's just a plaything to you, isn't she?" she spat, her eyes flashing with anger.

I felt a surge of rage bubble up inside me, my fists clenching at my sides. "No!" I shouted, unable to contain the intensity of my emotions. "I love her, goddammit! She means everything to me. She is the reason I want to wake up."

For a moment, Elizabeth seemed taken aback by the force of my response, her eyes widening in shock. But then, her expression hardened once more, a steely resolve settling over her features. "Even so, it doesn't change anything," she insisted, her tone unwavering.

I took a step closer, my anger giving way to a deep sadness. "You don't understand," I said softly, reaching out to touch her arm. "Alya and I, we were meant to be together. Nothing you say or do will change that."

Elizabeth's facade faltered for a moment, a flicker of doubt crossing her features. The weight of my words seemed to sink in, causing her resolve to waver momentarily. But then, she shook her head defiantly, her determination returning with a vengeance.

"It's over, Alex," she stated firmly, her voice tinged with a hint of desperation. "Don't drag this, please. This might even risk my marriage with Suman."

Her words hung heavily in the air, casting a shadow over the room. My heart sank as I realized the extent of the situation. The thought of jeopardizing Elizabeth's marriage only added another layer of complexity to an already tangled web of emotions of what I have.

"I don't want to cause any pain to you ever, I want you to be happy in your marriage," I replied, my voice heavy with resignation. "But I can't just walk away from Alya. She means everything to me."

Elizabeth's expression softened slightly, a hint of sympathy flickering in her eyes. "Alex, no, please," she said softly. "I beg you!" she pleaded.

I felt a surge of frustration welling up inside me. "I can't sacrifice my love for Alya," I declared, my voice tinged with desperation. "Not when she's the only thing in this world that makes make me feel alive."

Elizabeth's resolve remained unyielding, her eyes reflecting the turmoil of her inner conflict. "I know you care for her, Alex," she admitted, her voice softer now. "But sometimes, caring isn't enough."

I shook my head, frustration bubbling to the surface. "It has to be," I insisted, my tone pleading. "I can't just let her go, Elizabeth. Not without a fight."

A heavy silence settled between us, thick with unspoken fears and regrets. Each moment stretched on, the weight of our shared dilemma pressing down on us like a suffocating blanket.

Finally, Elizabeth spoke, her voice tinged with resignation. "I wish things could be different," she confessed, her words heavy with regret. "But sometimes, we have to accept the reality of our circumstances, no matter how painful they may be. I understand that you are in love with her, but your love will destroy her, not now, but in future. She will have to lead a shameful life because of you. She had to live in fear that your relationship might be discovered. I saw her today when I confronted her she was scared and overwhelmed with guilt, she don't deserve that, Alex. To live like a sinster her life and not expecting anything in return."

My heart sank at her words, the crushing weight of defeat settling over me like a dark cloud. "I can't accept that," I replied, my voice barely above a whisper. "Not when it means losing Alya."

Tears welled in Elizabeth's eyes as she reached out to touch my arm, her gesture one of silent understanding. "Let go of her, Alex. Not for you but for her ," she whispered, her voice barely audible over the roar of my anguish. "And I'm so sorry."

That moment I realised I had to stop holding back Alya even it kills me. I have to let her go for her happiness even it means killing my own happiness.