CHAPTER-23: ALYA

I tried sleeping, but the thoughts racing through my mind wouldn't let me rest. The conversation with Dev and the decision to end things had taken a toll on me. As much as I knew it was the right choice, it still weighed heavily on my heart. I had always believed that love was supposed to be comfortable. But now, having found that comfort with Dev, I realized it wasn't enough.

Comfort had become a cocoon that stifled my spirit, a numbing routine that left me feeling empty. Love, I had come to understand, was supposed to ignite something within you—a passion, a spark, a deep connection that transcended mere comfort. What I had with Dev was safe and predictable, but it lacked the fire and depth that made life truly vibrant.

I felt a pang of guilt as I thought about Dev. He didn't deserve to be hurt. He had been nothing but kind and supportive, always there when I needed him. But the truth was, I didn't love him the way he deserved to be loved. And staying in a relationship out of convenience or fear of being alone wasn't fair to either of us.

With these tumultuous thoughts swirling in my mind, I knew sleep was impossible. I tossed and turned, the sheets tangling around me as I stared up at the ceiling, trying to make sense of the storm inside me. Finally, I gave up. I needed a distraction, something to clear my head.

I slipped out of bed and padded softly downstairs, the cool floor beneath my feet grounding me as I made my way to the kitchen. The house was quiet, the only sound the faint hum of the refrigerator and the ticking of the clock on the wall. I poured myself a glass of water and took a slow sip, letting the cool liquid soothe my parched throat.

As I stood there, lost in my thoughts, I glanced at Alex room and noticed something odd. Alex's room light was off. Normally, Alex worked late into the night, often until two or three in the morning. His dedication to his work was one of the things that had always impressed me, even when I was angry with him. But tonight, his room was dark and silent. It was strange. Alex was usually a creature of habit, and seeing his room dark this early was unsettling.

I walked to Alex's room, only to find his bed untouched. It was 1 AM, and Alex hadn't returned. Despite my confusing feelings for him, my concern for Alex as a human being took over. I started calling him, but his phone was switched off.

Panicking, I wanted to call Dev to see if he knew Alex's whereabouts but I know in the situation me and Dev are I cant. My worry increased. The rain outside was heavy, and my worry intensified. I didn't know what to do until I heard the front door open. Alex appeared, fully drenched, walking as if he didn't have the energy to take another step.

"Alex!" I exclaimed, rushing toward him.

He lost his balance and collapsed. I quickly caught him in my arms, his head resting heavily on my shoulder. He felt alarmingly hot. As I gently placed him on the floor, I held his face and asked, "Are you running with a fever?"

He didn't respond clearly, only making incoherent sounds that suggested he was drunk.

"Are you drunk, Alex?" I asked, shaking him to his sense.

"Just a little bit," he slurred, gesturing with his hand.

He fell back on my shoulder, and I lifted him, struggling to carry him to his room. Somehow, I managed to place him on the bed. I placed my hand on his forehead to check for a fever, but Alex took my hand and held it to his chest in tight grip. "I am sorry. I never meant to hurt you. I was in situation I couldn't help but talk in such bad way to you, that night," he murmured, his voice strained. I tried to leave his words behind and attend to him. He was burning up with a fever.

Quickly, I went to fetch cold water and a towel for a sponge bath. When I returned to the room, I helped Alex sit up. "Can you remove your shirt? You're drenched and have a fever," I asked.