CHAPTER 38: ALYA

Me and Elizabeth went shopping, buying clothes and a few home decor items. But something felt off. Elizabeth wasn't her usual warm self; instead, she seemed distant, almost angry. She barely spoke to me all day, and the silence hung heavily between us.

We later went to a café and ordered food. The silence continued until Elizabeth finally spoke, her tone cold and clipped.

"I know, Alya," she said. Her words sent a chill down my spine, confusing and scaring me.

"What?" I asked, trying to understand situation.

"I know about you and Alex," she said, her eyes narrowing with a mixture of anger and disgust. As the words left her mouth, my heart sank. Fear gripped me, and I felt a wave of panic rising in my chest.

"Me and Alex?" I tried to sound innocent, hoping to deflect her suspicion.

"Don't play dumb," she snapped. "Yesterday, I forgot my charger, so we decided to come back to the house. I went to your room to ask you for a charger, but I heard sounds. So, without knocking, I opened the door a bit." She paused, glaring at me, her eyes filled with anger. "I saw.His hands were under your top," she spat out, her voice laced with contempt.

Every word felt like a blow, and I struggled to find my voice. The reality of being caught, of her knowing about us, was overwhelming. My mind raced, trying to think of something to say, but the shame and fear were paralyzing me.

"It was a disgusting thing to see," she continued, her voice rising. "How could you both? How could you do something so indecent at house, where your father and I could walk in at any moment?"

"I—Elizabeth, it's not what you think," I stammered, my voice barely above a whisper.

"Not what I think?" she echoed, her eyes blazing. "Then what is it, Alya? What possible explanation could there be for what I saw?"

Tears welled up in my eyes as I struggled to respond. "Elizabeth, I... I didn't mean for you to find out like this. Alex and I... we care about each other deeply. It's not just some fling or hookup."

She shook her head, disbelief and anger etched on her face. "You have gone mad, Alya. What if it was your dad that walked in on guys? Do you have any idea how he would felt? This is not just about you and Alex. It affects all of us, Alya"

Her words cut deep, and I felt a wave of guilt crash over me.

"Elizabeth, please, don't tell Dad," I pleaded, my voice shaking.

"You guys are related, Alya! He is your step uncle, He's my brother," Elizabeth's voice boomed with anger, each word laced with venom. "Alya, have you lost your mind? Forget about him being my brother—he's 11 years older than you for god sake. Do you think you two make any sense at all? Sneaking around the house like a pair of hormone-driven teenagers?"

Her words struck me like a physical blow, leaving me reeling with shock and disbelief. Fear gripped my heart, and I felt like the ground had been pulled out from beneath me.

"We never wanted to hurt anyone. We're just... just... we're in love." I tried talking, but barely a whisper.

"In love?" she scoffed, her voice dripping with disdain. "Do you even understand what that means?"

"Do you honestly believe he loves you?" Elizabeth continued, her tone dripping with scorn. "You're nothing more than a pathetic plaything to him, Alya. A convenient young distraction. More than Alex, I care about you. You are like my daughter, Alya ! Did he ever even bother to utter the words 'I love you' to you? Or are you just a fool who's fallen for his empty promises?"