{12}•ʟɪᴛᴛʟᴇ ᴀɴɢᴇʟ•

BONDITA

I

stepped inside the mansion, battling to contain my tears, unable to grasp why I had allowed such foolish thoughts to consume me. It wasn't a date; nothing about it was romantic. Yet, why had I even entertained such notions?

Opening the door to our room, I sank into confusion. Why had he married me if he would never accept me as his wife? The question echoed painfully in my mind, unanswered and heavy.

Memories flooded back to the day I returned from London.

Exiting the airport after five long years, my heart brimmed with joy. Baba had sent me away to London because he couldn't care for me himself, entrusting me to Mama and Mami who lived there.

Upon arriving in India, before Mama, Mini, and Sampurna Didi even appeared, I hurried to find Baba. But he wasn't there.

I waited.
And waited longer.

But he never came. I had told him that Mama, Mami, and Sampurna Didi were returning to India, and I was coming too. Where was he?

As I stood waiting, Mama, Mami, and Sampurna finally arrived. Mami asked with concern, "What happened, Bondu?"

My lips quivered as I turned to her, saying, "See, Mami, Baba didn't come even though I told him we were reuniting after five years. He doesn't care at all!"

Mama gently patted my head, trying to console me. "Don't say that, Bondita beta. He must—"

Before Mama could finish, a voice interrupted, "Miss Bondita Das?" I turned to see four men standing there.

Confused but recognizing my name, I replied tentatively, "Yes?"

One of the men handed me a letter and said softly, "This is Mr. Monohar's letter for you."

I accepted the letter but hesitated to open it, my heart racing with worry. "Where is Baba?" I asked urgently.

The man's eyes dropped, avoiding my gaze. Frustration building, I pressed again, "Tell me, where is Baba?"

He pulled out his phone and showed me a video. My eyes widened in shock, tears streaming uncontrollably down my cheeks. The screen displayed Baba in a hospital bed, smiling weakly.

"Bachha... it's time for your Baba to go," his voice echoed through the phone. Tears blurred my vision as he continued, "No, no, you're my strong girl. Wipe your tears... wipe them now." With trembling hands, I obeyed, but the tears kept flowing.

"You don't have to cry, my bacha. I'm always with you... in your heart," he assured me. "It's time for me to go to your Maa. She must be waiting for me..."

His breaths were labored, each word a struggle. "Listen to me, bacha. The letter... don't read it now. Just after two weeks, on your 20th birthday, then you have to read it. Okay, my bachha? You have to be strong..."

Baba's voice faltered, his strength waning. "And bachha... I wanted to give your hand myself to my son-in-law, but I couldn't. Just after my death, you have to marry..."

His words hit me like a thunderbolt. Confusion and sorrow gripped me as he pleaded, "I know you have many dreams, but the man I've chosen for you will help you fulfill them. Please don't say no, bacha. You have to marry Anirudh... Anirudh Roy Chowdhury. Please, bachha, this is my last wish. I love you so much, bachha. You're my everything..."