The Witch Queen

She brought us to her throne room.

"You brought the Stone?" She asked.

"Uhm. Yes." I pulled it out.

"May I ask why did you come looking for this?" She asked.

"I was hoping you would know about where my sister is. Someone told me you might know but the only way I could contact you is through the stone."

"I see. Who is your sister?"

"Athena. She looks exactly like me."

She was lost in thought.

"No, I'm afraid not. Is that all?" She asked.

"Wait? Are you sure?" I said desperately.

"I am sure. I've never seen anyone quite like you." She said.

"Dammit." I muttered.

I looked down angry.

"However, I know of some who are like you in other ways."

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"The Descenders. Tales of People who aren't native to Talos. Which means they aren't from this dimension."

"H-huh?" I stuttered.

"How could you tell?" Banshee asked.

"It takes a pair of special eyes to know who comes from here."

She sighed.

"Anyways, I've only met 2 of the now 5 Descenders. These two individuals have traveled this land for hundreds of years. I met them on numerous occasions. Unfortunately, both seem to have vanished off the face of this planet. Around the time of the Cataclysm."

"What's that?" I asked.

She cleared her throat.

"300 years ago. A nation that was prosperous suddenly, disappeared. A tragedy struck our world. The Gods had defended their land. As the dust settled the nation was gone. No trace of its existence. Just like the nation. The two Descenders also disappeared. If you were to seek them out. Perhaps they might know where your lost kin may be."

"Thank you." I bowed.

"Where do you plan on going next?" She asked.

"Màoyì."

"That's about 2 months worth of traveling. It's a long journey."

"We'll manage. I got this far haven't I?" I said.

"Oh, may you check on Azul? She will be waking up by now thanks to our nurses."

I nodded and thanked her for her time.

We went over to the nursery. She was laying in bed.

"Azul! Your ok!" Banshee yelled.

"Ouch! You don't need to yell!"

"How's your injury?" I asked.

"It's fine. Did you know that guy?"

"Yeah. We met him outside the tavern."

"I see."

"Why did you know he was bad?"

"His aura. Us strong mages have trained our eye to see the Soul and it's Frequency."

"Huh?"

"Erm... Basically, the soul exists in everyone. The Soul Frequency is how strong the soul is. It proves how strong of a fighter you are. Your soul is wicked strong but it's weaker than the Queen. That boy... He was stronger than the two of you combined. We wouldn't have stand a chance back there."

"What? So your saying he could have killed us?" Banshee asked.

"Yep. Oh and speaking of Soul Frequency. I can also tell by the sound your soul makes that you aren't from here."

"Huh?"

"The sound of normal people is all the same. A God's sound is much different. I've read about the Descenders. They had completely different sounds then anything in our world. Yours is foreign if that makes sense."

Nearly everything she said flew over my head.

"What?"

"Sorry. I'm not good at explaining things. It doesn't matter. I'm just glad everyone is ok."

"Yeah me too." I smiled.

"Are you leaving soon?"

"Yeah... But I wanted to talk about. Who we a-"

"Zip it. I don't want to talk about it."

"Why?" Banshee asked.

"It's just... I don't really want to talk about it. Instead, I want to travel the world. I want to find the people she talked too. Maybe that way. I can make sense of it all. Her death makes no sense."

"So you'll leave too?"

"Yup! Right when my stomach heals fully. Hopefully we see each other again!" She grinned.

"Maybe. I'll keep a look out for you!"

"Right. Astro?"

"Hm?"

"Thank you. For staying by my side. Not to many people would have done that for me."

"It's no problem. If you need help just ask."

"I hope the Queen answered all your questions. For now though. I'm gonna study a lot about the Ley Lines and all the secrets they hold."

"Good luck with that."

"Good luck with finding your sister."

We parted ways.

Me and Banshee set out to Màoyì.

End of Interlude 2

Next Arc: The Lantern Festival Preparation Incident.