[24] Never Really Over

The D.E.B.S. huddled together, their eyes fixed on a bomb lying on the table before them as the atmosphere grew more tense each second. Danielle's jaw was clenched, Hanni fiddled nervously with a strand of hair, Hyein bit her lip, and Haerin's eyes darted back and forth, taking in every detail of the explosive device. The leader then took a deep breath, time seeming to slow down as she reached out to cut a wire.

The container popped open, and to their disbelief, a flurry of balloons and confetti gushed out. Amidst the vibrant mess, a heart-shaped balloon emerged with the words, "Dani, be mine." A collective sigh was exchanged among the three girls, while Danielle blushed as she admired the pretty sight.

"Could've used a better font," Hanni commented.

⋆༺𓆩𝕯.𝕰.𝕭.𝕾𓆪༻⋆

Minji stood outside, leaning against her car as she held a device in her hand - a modern interpretation of the iconic bat-signal. With a subtle smirk, she activated it, projecting her logo - MJ - high into the sky. Meanwhile, Danielle, who was doing homework on her bed, caught sight of the bright display. As the initials faded, a heart appeared, with the words "Dani, be mine" etched across it in bold letters.

Danielle couldn't ignore the surge of emotions that washed over her as she spotted the message in the sky, the message she had seen dozens of times these past few weeks. Shaking her head, she tried to push aside her feelings and focus back on her homework. Just then, Hanni walked into her bedroom, her phone in hand.

"Bro, you gotta look at this!" Hanni exclaims, joining Dani in bed.

Hanni eagerly held the screen out for Danielle to see. When the latter looked closer, she was met with a flood of images of Minji, captured by the paparazzi and plastered across multiple news outlets.

"I'll airdrop you the photos later."

"Why are you showing me these?" Danielle furrowed her eyebrows as she glanced up at Hanni in confusion.

"Just thought you'd miss her."

"I don't."

Without missing a beat, Hanni gave Danielle an unamused look, clearly not buying her friend's act. She grabbed Danielle's homework with a playful smirk, revealing another piece of paper hidden beneath. The song title, "MJ" couldn't have been more obvious in identifying its subject. It was a reference to a certain someone, making it crystal clear who the song was about. Pointing to the lyrics in Danielle's familiar handwriting, Hanni cocked an eyebrow.

"I saw you writing this during class yesterday. I know you're not over her, Dani."

"Just get out of my room. Gosh!"

⋆༺𓆩𝕯.𝕰.𝕭.𝕾𓆪༻⋆

Days had passed since Minji's grand gestures, but she had yet to establish contact with Danielle. Sitting on the hood of her car parked atop a hill overlooking the city of Los Angeles, Minji sighed, a mix of frustration and defeat.

"She's out there somewhere."

Yujin, ever perceptive, observed Minji's struggle. She leaned against the car, her voice soft but firm.

"Time for plan B."

"There's a plan B?"

Yujin nodded, her smile holding a touch of mischief that didn't escape Minji's sharp eye. It was a smile Minji knew all too well, and it sent a shiver down her spine. She looked at Yujin warily, bracing herself for whatever scheme was brewing in her friend's mind.