Pt. 20 : Passing

"Lum. Do you remember how you died?" I looked him in the eyes.

//Lumine's POV//

I processed what Kody had said for a moment. He had this look that searched for answers written on my face. I was confused. Was he asking me genuinely because he didn't know? Or because he was just testing if I knew?

Of course I remember.

For me, it was only a few days ago. Kody claims it had been months, I assume time in Limbo is perceived differently.

This is when I realized that my Limbo was 14 days long, and I'm also about 14 years old. Maybe thats why...

I wanted to tread the waters cautiously. If I said too much, who knows what that could do to Kody.

"...Do you know?" I asked.

"...", Kody hovered in silence. He looked down, staring intently into the threads of the couch. His fingers were fidgeting while he thought.

"No." He looked at me. "No one told me. I just found out you died when I was in the police station. No one told me how though. I was scared. I didn't- I didn't know where you were. Or what happened I-"

His speech started becoming quick and anxious. I put my hand on his to slow him down.

"Okay. I'm sorry." I stared.

"...Are you apologizing to me for dying?", Kody questioned.

He's...not wrong.

"Because you should. You idiot." Kody swung his head away from me and covered his eyes with the palms of his hands.

"Do you want to know?" I whispered.

He turned his head slightly towards me but didn't remove his hands that hid his face. He slowly nodded his head.

I took a deep breath.

"...I tried to protect you.

I wanted to so bad. Back at that place, where I was kidnapped, I was locked in a cage for all those days.

I had no idea what I was waiting for and I started losing hope in seeing you again. I would always ask how you were and begged to see you but your mother refused.

One day I heard loud bangs and shouting and I thought it was finally time. Time to make an escape. "

Kody's head finally rose.

"You said loud bangs and shouting?" He looked startled.

"...Yea. I don't know what was happening but I was desperate to get out. It was horrible. I barely got to eat or even use the restroom. I was deprived of light and you. It was the same constant day of that Golden werewolf watching me for hours in silence. It was torture."

We stayed in silence for a moment.

"...Lumine. Those noises you heard, was probably us. Me, Sera, and Camille."

My ears twitched. But how?

"That must have been the day we came to save you."