Pt. 16 : Timeless

A few minutes later, I emerge from our room wearing one of his blue hoodies that Sera bought him, my black jacket, and my black pants.

The warmth from his hoodie reminded me of a warmth that you gave me once. A warmth that encouraged me to keep going. Today felt much more easier. It felt lighter, as if my shackled chains of denial were getting rusty.

I was continuously thinking of everything such as my clothes and Lumine just now to distract myself from my surroundings, so that I wouldn't lose motivation. Before I knew it, I was outside the door and walking towards the staircase.

---

I take a step onto the snow. It crunched under my shoes and It seemed like fresh, untouched snow covered the ground before me. Surprisingly, there were rarely any people outside today. This was shocking since this city is usually bustling with events and people...

It was beautiful. I hadn't seen Terranevo so beautiful in a while. The whole town was sparkling and peaceful.

I continued to walk, taking a deep breath to enjoy the crisp, cold air.

I heard a faint 'mew' sound every time I picked up my feet. I look down and see a familiar face looking up at me and following my every step. It was the cat I saw when Lumine first found the weredog arena.

Unsurprisingly, I looked up to find myself not far from the arena. I bent down to pet the cat and concentrated on its eyes. You last saw me with Lumine, alive.

Suddenly the cat looked startled and spun around, looking up at...nothing. It stared seemingly into the sky but I watched its pupils dilate immensely. Someone was there. I also looked up to the sky. Is he watching?

I took a second to keep his name in my head before I stood up and waved the kitty goodbye. I headed towards the arena doors.

As always, the old man at the ticket booth was snoozing away with disgusting crumbs all over his face. What a guard dog...

I crept my way towards the entrance and was again greeted with loud roaring from the crowd. I took a seat in the middle sections so I could still see the fighters. I didn't actually care to watch normal bloody fights for the winners but I just came to say hi to Sera. I felt I should pay her a visit- to show my appreciation for how much she'd supported me.

The last time I had done this was almost 4 months ago, when Lumine dragged me back here one time just to watch because Sera was fighting that day. Thats when I was still pissed that he was in the actual tournament...I still think he's an idiot for it.

But I also know he was doing it for us. He even told Sera and Camille out loud and shamelessly that he was doing this to protect us. He worked his ass off for that money and I was always secretly happy that Sera let him win. Both because he didn't get hurt that day and his face lit up with hope when he first saw the money. Oh to see that reaction again...

I was brought back to reality when confetti exploded all over the arena which startled me. I realized Sera was in the center and holding her paw up in the air in victory. I...had missed her whole fight.

I stood up and followed the crowd who pushed me towards the exit. I constantly turned around to try to make eye contact with Sera. Once we saw each other, she smiled and waved with both arms in the air. I gave her a simple small wave. I was then thrown out by the crowd.

---

The sun should be setting soon. I decided to walk around earlier after the tournament to allow myself to think clearly and enjoy the view. I noticed small things that reminded me of you and realized I'm constantly looking for you in everything.

I see you, Lumine, in the similar features of strangers passing by, as well as their differences. I am always searching for you in the most colorful parts of my life.

I stood in front of the bakery that he introduced me to. The smell of the fresh bread and butter wafted into me everytime a customer opened the door. I felt weightless. I was filled with pure bliss for a memory that can't be recreated ever again. The memory of Lumine's warm hand dragging me into the shop and being engulfed in love.

I wonder if the owner remembers your face. You were so happy that day and so kind when speaking to the woman behind the counter when you were choosing your cake. You complimented her other goods and tipped her for 'working hard and keeping people warm', which is what you had said. You were such a depiction, such the evidence of a symphony of existence, a soul adorned with grace and danced with kindness. How could anyone forget you?

To my surprise, the same woman was taking my order today and smiled warmly to me before asking for my order. I requested the same small white vanilla cake with strawberries on top that you decided on.

"Is this for your friend again?" She chuckled.

I noticed she was wearing a blue and yellow bracelet. You are everywhere.

"Yea." I replied.

---

I made it back home by sunset.

"Lumine, I'm taking a slice, don't be mad."

I cut a slice into the cake. I served myself and then set out an extra plate on the table.

I took a bite. Its been a while. This familiar taste. It reminds me of how happy I once was.

"Thanks Kody, I can't believe you remembered."

My heart stopped. My fork slipped out of my hand and I quickly put my plate down before I dropped my cake. My head jerked to look beside me.

"Lumine..."