FAMILY CONFRONTATIONS

It had been a few weeks since Soo-hyun and I had stopped pretending, but the thrill of our blossoming relationship was starting to come under pressure from an unexpected source-our families

I was sitting at my parents' dining table, absently stirring a cup of tea while my mother's voice filled the air. "You're not getting any younger, Ji-won,"

My mother said with a sigh, setting down a tray of freshly cut fruit. "It's time you start thinking about settling down. You've been so focused on your career, but don't you want a family?"

I got tensed, my grip tightening on the handle of my teacup.

I had heard this lecture a dozen times before, but it never got any easier to listen to. "I'm doing fine, Mom. There's no rush."

My mother's expression softened, but there's no concern in her eyes remained.

"I know you're doing well, but life is about more than just work. Your sisters are already married and starting families of their own. You've been seeing someone, haven't you? That Soo-hyun, was it?"

I hesitated, unsure of how much to reveal. "Yeah, we've been seeing each other... but we're not at that stage yet. We're just figuring things out."

"And you calling Soo-hyun by his name and not that lawyer. Why now, mom?," I asked her.

My father, who had been quietly reading the newspaper, looked up at us. "You've been 'figuring things out' for how long now?"

I sighed, feeling cornered. "A few weeks. Didn't we already have this conversation, and dad, didn't you agree with grandfather? What did mom say to you to alter your decision again?"

"A few weeks is nothing," her mother interjected. "If he's serious about you, shouldn't you be serious about him? You've known him for a long week now, haven't you?"

I nodded, trying to keep my frustration in check. "We've been friends for years, but we just started dating. I don't think it's fair to rush into something because everyone else expects us to."

My mother's brow furrowed in disappointment. "We're not asking you to rush. But you need to be practical, Ji-won. You're not in your twenties anymore. If Soo-hyun is the right person for you, then don't waste time. Marriage isn't something you can just put off forever. Unless you choose the one we suggested."

I swallowed hard, feeling the weight of my family's expectations pressing down on her. I loved my parents' well mom sometimes when she's reasonable, but I wasn't ready to make decisions about marriage yet.

Not when things were still so new with Soo-hyun. I needed time-time to figure out what this relationship meant to me and what it could become.

"I'll think about it," I said finally, my voice quiet but firm. "But I need to do this at my own pace."

My mother didn't look entirely convinced, but she let the conversation drop for now. I could tell, though, that it wouldn't be the last time this subject came up. As usual.