13

'You know how much I hate that everybody just expects me to bounce back
Just like that'

We had made it back to the castle and finished the sorting, eating our first meal.

Seamus had been eyeing Harry and I the whole meal. I would just look back at him and give him a dirty look. Harry would get nervous and look away.

"Good evening, children," Dumbledore started, "Now, we have two changes in staffing this year. We're pleased to welcome back Professor Grubbly-Plank, who'll be taking Care of Magical Creatures while Professor Hagrid is on temporary leave."

I looked to Hermione with a concerned face. She stared back the same way.

"We also wish to welcome our new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher, Professor Dolores Unbridge," Dumbledore introduced. I looked to her sat next to Snape. She was ugly, like a toad, with brown curly hair and dressed in bright pink everything. Dumbledore continued, "And I'm sure you'll all join me in wishing the professor good luck. Now as usual, our caretaker, Mr. Filch has asked me to remind yo-"

Dumbledore was cut off by Umbridge coughing.

"Mm mm," She hummed. Dumbledore stopped, everybody looking to her. She stood up, walking to the front of the stage.

"Thank you, headmaster, for those kind words of welcome," She croaked, pacing on the stage, "And how lovely to see all your bright, happy faces, smiling up at me."

I made a face and looked around. Nobody in the entire room was smiling. I locked eyes with Malfoy. He smirked, raising his eyebrow. I rolled my eyes and looked back to Umbridge.

"I'm sure we're all going to be very good friends," She said.

"That's likely," Fred and George said in sync. I held back a laugh.

"The Ministry of Magic has always considered the education of young witches and wizards to be of VITAL importance. Although each headmaster has brought something new to this historic school... progress for the sake of progress must be discouraged," Umbridge yapped.

Ron looked back to all three of us with a smirk. I snorted quietly.

I tuned out, not listening to this woman speak anymore. I started to look around the room. I locked eyes with Nott. Can this guy leave me alone? For Merlin's sake. I gave him a dirty look and he tilted his head to the side. I looked next to him to Malfoy, who was looking at Umbridge. I looked back to Nott. His eyebrow was raised with a challenging smirk on his face. He looked to Malfoy, then back to me with a quizzical look. I turned away quickly, watching Umbridge go back to her seat.

Dumbledore started to clap and everybody joined in questionably. I didn't.

"That really was most illuminating," Dumbledore said.

"Illuminating? What a load of waffle," Ron muttered.

"What does it mean?" Harry asked.

I shrugged, "Couldn't tell you. Wasn't paying attention."

"It means the Ministry's interfering at Hogwarts," Hermione said smartly.