The Getaway

You are as gold
As the half-ripe grain:
A warm tang like the wind
Out of wheat-fields
Blows from your presence
And your ivory feet
Are as cool as the silver
That pipes a thin song
To the ivory-white stars.

In the sweltering heat of midsummer, the weight of exhaustion hung heavy on your shoulders. Days blurred into each other, each one filled with ten grueling hours of tending to patients. The endless cycle of hospital to home and back again had become a symphony of chaos. Renowned as one of the finest doctors in your field and a skilled surgeon to boot, you had reached the limits of your endurance. Craving an escape from the relentless demands of city life, you resolved to seek solace in a much-needed vacation, hoping to find peace away from the ceaseless hustle and bustle.

You booked a lodge in a secluded corner of England, drawn by the promise of breathtaking views and the serene peace you had craved for months. At just 28, you had already achieved remarkable success in your career, but now it was time to rewind and relax.

As you packed, a sense of excitement filled the air. "Finally," you muttered to yourself, "some peace and quiet." You carefully ensured all your necessities and toiletries were neatly packed. With one last glance at your apartment, a mix of anticipation and relief washed over you. The flight to London was blissful, and as you stepped off the plane, the cool air embraced you, a refreshing contrast to the oppressive heat you had left behind.

The service you booked had dropped you off at your safe haven for the week. "This is it," you said aloud, taking in the beautiful lodge before you. Nearby, another lodge stood in its full glory, likely empty. "What a perfect spot," you thought as you noticed the vast lake beside your new home away from home, where ducks and other birds glided peacefully across the water. This tranquil setting seemed like the perfect antidote to your months of relentless hustle.

You sighed deeply, letting the serenity of the place wash over you. "Just what the doctor ordered," you chuckled to yourself, feeling the weight of the world begin to lift from your shoulders.

For the first two days, you did nothing but relax and unwind, thankful for the opportunity. Then, you decided to explore more of your surroundings. You started hiking, taking in the breathtaking views of the scenery around you. The lodge stood between thick woods, their canopy so dense that it blocked out the sunlight, casting a dark but intriguing shadow over the path. "This is nature's cathedral," you whispered in awe, feeling a profound sense of peace as you ventured deeper into the wilderness.

But after two days, what you were not anticipating happened. You spotted a military convoy parked near the lodge beside you and four guys stepping out. One had a jolly personality and a mohawk on his head, another was a cute black guy who was with a handsome man sporting a beard. Their chatter filled the air, a stark contrast to the serene silence you had grown accustomed to. They were all in military gear, talking and laughing about something until you spotted the last guy stepping out.

Your curiosity piqued, and you stepped out of the lodge. You were wearing a short floral skirt and a short blouse that showed your snatched waist, with your long brown hair waving in the cold breeze. Your pretty, small face with almond-shaped caramel eyes caught the sunlight as you moved.

The last guy stepped out of the vehicle, a big rifle in his hand. He wore a skull mask with a black balaclava beneath, clad in jeans and a black pullover jacket with a tactical vest. He was a behemoth of a man, tall and muscular. He held the rifle close to his chest while talking to the others, then hung it on his shoulder and started taking out their bags. As soon as he closed the trunk, his eyes met yours and you froze in your doorway. His cold, calculated, piercing eyes made your breath stick in your throat. He stood still, then cocked his head to one side like a predator, and you took a step back.