Forty-one

Chapter 41:Millie

Madilyn held Millie close, her heart heavy with the weight of recent events. The silence in the apartment echoed her tumultuous emotions, punctuated only by Millie's occasional coos and the distant hum of the city outside. She had never felt more alone, even surrounded by the familiar walls of the Avengers' tower.

Natasha remained a steadfast presence beside her, sensing the turmoil beneath Madilyn's composed exterior. "You're doing great with her," Natasha remarked softly, watching as Madilyn gently rocked Millie back and forth.

Madilyn managed a small smile, grateful for Natasha's support. "Thanks," she murmured, her voice tinged with exhaustion. "I just... I never imagined it would be this hard."

Natasha nodded in understanding. "Adjusting to motherhood is challenging, especially under these circumstances," she acknowledged, her tone sympathetic. "But you're not alone in this, Madilyn. We're all here to help."

Madilyn glanced down at Millie, her heart swelling with love and a touch of apprehension. "I know," she replied quietly, her gaze distant. "It's just... I don't know if I can fix things with Thor. I hurt him so much."

Natasha placed a comforting hand on Madilyn's shoulder. "Give him time," she advised gently. "Thor's strong, but he's also sensitive. He needs to process everything."

Madilyn nodded, her thoughts drifting to Thor and their strained relationship. She replayed their argument in her mind, the harsh words and raw emotions still fresh. She wished she could take it all back, but she knew she couldn't undo the past.

As the night deepened, Natasha helped Madilyn put Millie to bed, their routine a quiet anchor in the storm of emotions. Madilyn found herself grateful for the distraction, focusing on the simple tasks of caring for her daughter.

Later, after Millie had drifted off to sleep, Natasha and Madilyn sat together in the living room. "You're stronger than you think," Natasha remarked, breaking the silence. "And Millie... she's lucky to have you as her mother."

Madilyn smiled faintly, a mix of gratitude and uncertainty washing over her. "I hope I can be enough for her," she admitted quietly, her voice tinged with doubt.

"You already are," Natasha reassured her, her tone unwavering. "And we're all here to support you, every step of the way."

Madilyn nodded, feeling a glimmer of hope stir within her. The road ahead was uncertain, but she knew she wasn't facing it alone. With Millie sleeping peacefully nearby and Natasha by her side, she found a measure of peace in the midst of everything.

Madilyn sat on the couch, Millie cradled in her arms, staring out the window at the city skyline bathed in the soft glow of twilight. Her thoughts were a whirlwind of emotions, still reeling from the confrontation with Thor earlier. She had always been strong, independent, but now she felt like she was drowning in uncertainty.

Millie squirmed in her arms, letting out a soft whimper. Madilyn sighed, shifting her daughter gently to soothe her. "It's okay, sweetheart," she murmured, pressing a kiss to Millie's forehead. "Mommy's here."

But as much as she tried to focus on Millie, her mind kept drifting back to Thor. She had hurt him deeply, and the weight of his silence was crushing. She knew she had to give him space, but the thought of losing him, of losing their family, was unbearable.

The sound of footsteps pulled her from her thoughts. Natasha appeared in the doorway, her expression gentle yet concerned. "How are you holding up?" she asked softly, stepping closer.

Madilyn managed a weak smile. "I don't know," she admitted quietly. "I just feel lost."

Natasha sat down beside her, offering a supportive squeeze of her shoulder. "Thor will come around," she assured Madilyn. "He loves you both."

Madilyn nodded, swallowing back tears. "I hope so," she whispered, her voice trembling. "I don't know if I can do this alone."

"You're not alone," Natasha said firmly. "We're all here for you, Madilyn. You're part of this team, part of our family."

Madilyn looked at Natasha gratefully, feeling a flicker of hope amidst the turmoil. She knew she had a long road ahead, but knowing she had the support of her friends gave her strength.

As the evening wore on, Natasha stayed with Madilyn and Millie, helping with bedtime routines and offering words of encouragement. Madilyn found solace in the routine of caring for Millie, her daughter's innocence making her smile.

Words
737