Forty-four

Chapter 44

Madilyn sat in the dimly lit living room, the shadows cast by the flickering fireplace dancing across her weary face. The weight of Thor's departure and the turmoil that had ensued since their argument pressed heavily on her shoulders. She glanced over at Millie, who was playing with her toys on the carpet. The little girl had been increasingly difficult to handle since her father's absence, and Madilyn felt the strain more than ever.

As the days passed, Millie's behavior grew more erratic. The sweet-natured child who once brought light into their lives was now prone to tantrums and outbursts. Madilyn struggled to maintain her composure, knowing that Millie was just reacting to the upheaval in their family.

"Millie, sweetheart, can you come here for a moment?" Madilyn called softly.

Millie looked up, her eyes reflecting a defiance that was becoming all too familiar. She stood up slowly and walked over, her tiny fists clenched at her sides.

"What is it, Mommy?" Millie asked, her voice tinged with irritation.

Madilyn took a deep breath, trying to summon the patience she needed. "I just wanted to talk to you, honey. I know things have been tough lately with Daddy gone, but we need to stick together, okay?"

Millie frowned, her lower lip quivering. "I want Daddy! Why did he leave us?"

Madilyn's heart ached at the question. She pulled Millie into her lap, hugging her tightly. "Daddy had to go on a mission, but he'll be back. Until then, we have to be strong for him and for each other."

Millie pushed away from her mother, tears streaming down her cheeks. "I hate this! I hate everything!"

Before Madilyn could respond, Millie stormed off to her room, slamming the door behind her. The sound echoed through the apartment, leaving Madilyn feeling more alone than ever.

Hours later, Madilyn knocked softly on Millie's door. "Millie, can I come in?"

Silence greeted her, but she opened the door anyway. Millie was sitting on her bed, clutching her favorite stuffed animal, tears still wet on her cheeks. Madilyn sat down beside her, wrapping an arm around her.

"I'm sorry, Millie. I know this is hard for you," Madilyn whispered. "But we need to be patient. Daddy loves us both very much."

Millie sniffled, her anger melting into sadness. "I just want him to come home."

"I know, sweetie. I know," Madilyn said, kissing the top of her daughter's head.

The next morning, Madilyn awoke to the sound of Millie crying. She rushed to her daughter's room to find her sitting on the floor, her toys scattered around her.

"Millie, what's wrong?" Madilyn asked, kneeling beside her.

"I don't want to play with these anymore," Millie sobbed. "I want Daddy."

Madilyn's heart broke anew. She gathered Millie in her arms and carried her to the living room, trying to soothe her as best she could. But the days were long and the nights even longer, with Millie's behavior continuing to deteriorate.

One afternoon, as Madilyn was preparing lunch, she heard a crash from the living room. She rushed in to find Millie had thrown her toys across the room in a fit of rage.

"Millie! What are you doing?" Madilyn exclaimed.

"I hate everything!" Millie screamed, tears streaming down her face. In her frustration, she lashed out, hitting Madilyn on the arm.

Madilyn was stunned. She grabbed Millie's hands gently but firmly, trying to calm her down. "Millie, you can't hit people. That's not okay."

"I want Daddy!" Millie yelled again, her voice filled with anguish.

Madilyn felt tears well up in her own eyes. She sat down on the floor, pulling Millie into her lap despite her protests. "I know, sweetheart. I miss him too. But we have to be strong. He'll be back soon, I promise."

Millie continued to cry, her small body trembling with sobs. Madilyn held her close, rocking her gently until she finally calmed down.

That night, after Millie had finally fallen asleep, Madilyn sat alone in the living room, feeling the weight of the world on her shoulders. She knew she needed help, but she didn't know where to turn. The Avengers were their family, but they were all dealing with their own issues.

Suddenly, there was a knock at the door. Madilyn opened it to find Natasha standing there, a concerned look on her face.

"I heard about what happened," Natasha said softly. "Are you okay?"

Madilyn nodded, but the tears she had been holding back finally spilled over. "It's just so hard, Nat. Millie is acting out, and I don't know what to do."

Natasha stepped inside and wrapped her arms around Madilyn. "You're not alone, Madilyn. We're all here for you. Let us help."

Madilyn clung to Natasha, feeling a glimmer of hope for the first time in weeks. She knew they had a long road ahead, but with the support of her friends and the strength of her love for Millie and Thor, she knew they would make it through.