Chapter 12

England, 1492 (Niklaus)

  I pace the length of my study up and down, again and again. Finally I hear footsteps walking towards the door. The door opens and Elijah walks in.

   "I heard what happened, is she ok?"

   "She is well, yes. Though she was very badly injured when I got to her. I had to give her some of my blood," I say taking a seat at my desk. Elijah sits down across from me.

   "Angelina is a smart girl. She'll know something is up. You will have to compel her to forget that."

   I sigh. I never wanted to have to compel her. "I know," I tell him.

   "So do you know who was shooting at her?"

   "This was the arrow that they shot her with," I pick up the arrow, now cleaned, to show him. "Look at the engraving at the top," I point out.

   "Oh dear, that is not good." The symbol on the top of the arrow belongs to one of our enemies we have made. Clearly they wanted to attack Angelina as a way to get back at me. They must have been watching her out riding these past few weeks.

   "It is not. She cannot go out to ride by herself anymore."

   "No, no, she must not. And in terms of the sacrifice, Niklaus?"

   "The sacrifice?"

   "The ritual. The full moon is in six days."

   "The ritual... yes..." I have waited so long to break this bloody curse, yet I do not find myself eager to get it over and done with. If I sacrifice Katerina, Angelina will hate me forever. "What was it you were telling me a couple of weeks ago, brother, about some elixir that the witches have?"

   "Yes, the elixir to ensure that Katerina would wake back up after you sacrifice her. I believe when I told you about my wishes to keep Katerina alive, you told me that the elixir was a lot of nonsense, and that I should not care for Katerina because love makes us weak. What the hypocrite you are, Niklaus. I see the way you look at Angelina. I have never seen you look at anyone like that, not even Tatia or Aurora. You love her."

   "I do not... I.." I have never let myself think about it until now. I have not let myself love or care for anyone, not after Aurora. I have believed for the last 500 years that love made me weak. Yet...

   Elijah gives me a knowing look, "I shall have the elixir delivered to you, so that you may look at it yourself. Good day Niklaus, send my best wishes to Angelina."

   I stare at the door, even minutes after he is gone. It takes me that long, but I finally come to the realization. 

   I love her.

Angelina:

 I'm lying in bed drinking a cup of tea after scrubbing myself red raw in the bath, trying to wash off all the blood and dirt. I tried to read a bit of my book, but I could not focus on the words. My mind was elsewhere.

    On him.

   On how I wish I knew what he was and how his blood had healed me, on how if I did know what he was, would that change how I feel, on how I wish he was here right now and on how I need to know how he feels about me because I have finally come to the realization.... I think I love him.

   There's a knock on the door. I know it's him. I hope it's him. I feel my heart start to beat faster. My stomach is full of butterflies. The door opens.

   Nik walks in.

   I smile at him. "What, no snarky remark?" he asks me.

   "I thought you would be giving the snarky remark today."