Chapter 34

"I'm not sure this is gonna work," Bonnie tells Stefan and I as she lights a candle in the old witch house. She came up with the idea to try and make contact with the spirits there, to ask them about a cure.

   "You've done a séance before, right? Contacted Emily Bennett. Maybe one of the witches might know how to help Damon."

   "Lets just hope they want to," Bonnie replies as she stands up, closing her eyes. She begins to chant. The candles come ablaze as she continues. Bonnie frowns as I start to hear voices whispering. Stefan and I look at each other, wary.

   "Bonnie?" Stefan asks.  "Bonnie?" he tries again when she doesn't answer. Bonnie finally opens her eyes.

   "Emily," she answers. "Why have you come here Stefan? And you, Angelina," she looks at me. Emily is somehow speaking through Bonnie.

   "I need your help", Stefan answers her. "I need to know if there's a spell that can heal a werewolf bite."

   "No. Nature ensures a balance to everything," I can tell that she's lying. There is a cure, she just doesn't want to tell us.

   "Is that true? Or are you just saying no because it's Damon?" Stefan says to her.

   "Perhaps it is his time to die"

   "No. That's not balance... that's punishment."

   "Emily, please," I add. She stares at me for a few moments before speaking.

   "I will not give you what you want."

   "So your saying that there's an answer to give? Please. If you know something, just tell me. Help me save my brother."

   She stares at him before dropping to the ground with a scream. "Bonnie," Stefan and I kneel down beside her.

   "They don't want us here. They think I'm abusing their power," Bonnie says, clutching her head.

   "They know something. There's an answer. They just don't wanna tell me."

   "Yeah. I heard them say a name," Bonnie looks to me this time.

   "What was it?" I ask her.

   "Klaus," she whispers. Stefan and I look at each other, knowing what we're going to have to do.

***

   An hour or two later, after Stefan has reluctantly told Elena about Damon, here we are, walking up to the door of Alaric's apartment. Katherine is sitting on the bed when we walk in. I know from the second I see her that she's very angry.

   "Hello Katherine," Stefan says.

   "Two days, I've been waiting. I'm supposed to be free of Klaus' compulsion by now. He's supposed to be dead."

   "We ran into complications," Stefan answers.

   "Complications?"

   "Doesn't really matter, I just need to find him. Do you have any idea where he might be?" Just as he says it, I hear footsteps nearing the apartment, two sets. Katherine grabs Stefan and speeds him to the wall, pinning him there.

   "Shh," she puts her finger to her mouth. "Klaus, you're back." Sure enough, Klaus walks into the apartment, followed by Elijah. Klaus smirks at me and I glare back. "Look who decided to come for a a visit," Katherine pulls Stefan out from behind the wall.

   "You just keep popping up, don't you?" Klaus says, smiling.

   "I need your help. For my brother," Stefan comes straight out with it.