The Investigation

I leaned in closer to the agent, my eyes locked on his. "Come on, I know you're hiding something," I said. "What have you found out about Agent Thompson's death?"

The agent hesitated, glancing around nervously before focusing back on me. "Look, I don't know what you're talking about," he said again.

I smiled sweetly. "Oh, come now," I said. "I'm not a fool. I know you've been investigating the case. What have you found?"

The agent sighed, clearly realizing that I wasn't going to back down. "Fine," he said. "We found some suspicious activity around the scene of the crime. Footprints, fingerprints, and a piece of torn fabric caught in the fence."

I raised an eyebrow. "What kind of fabric?" I asked.

The agent hesitated before answering. "It was a piece of black fabric," he said. "And it looked like it came from a jacket."

I felt a jolt of surprise. That was the exact same type of fabric that my own jacket was made of.

"What else?" I asked, my voice neutral.

The agent sighed. "That's it," he said. "We haven't found anything else that points to a specific suspect."

I nodded, my mind racing with possibilities. I needed to get rid of this evidence, and fast.

"I think I can help you with that," I said, my voice dripping with false innocence.

The agent looked at me suspiciously, but I could see the curiosity in his eyes.

"How?" he asked.

"I have an idea about where that fabric might have come from," I said. "Let me show you something."

I pulled out my phone and accessed the security footage from the night of Agent Thompson's death. I scrolled through the footage until I found the relevant clip and showed it to the agent.

"See that?" I said, pointing to a figure in the background of the footage. "That's me, leaving the scene around the time of the murder."

The agent's eyes narrowed. "So what are you saying?" he asked.

"I'm saying that I was there that night," I said. "And I think I might have accidentally dropped my jacket when I left."

The agent's expression changed from suspicion to surprise. "You were there?" he repeated.

I nodded. "Yes, but don't worry, I didn't do anything wrong," I said, trying to sound convincing.