A Chilling Discovery

I woke up to the sound of Rachel's gentle voice calling out to me. "Ava, wake up. It's time for breakfast."

I rubbed the sleep from my eyes, feeling a sense of unease still lingering from the doubts that had plagued me during the night. But as I sat up and looked around, I saw that everything seemed normal. Rachel was making pancakes in the kitchen, the aroma of freshly brewed coffee wafting through the air.

"Good morning," she said, smiling brightly. "I made your favorite breakfast."

I forced a smile, trying to shake off the lingering sense of unease. "Thanks, Rachel. You're too sweet."

As we ate, Rachel chatted about her plans for the day, asking me to help her with some yard work. I agreed, trying to focus on the present moment and push aside my growing concerns.

But as we worked outside, I couldn't help but notice Rachel's behavior seemed... off. She was overly attentive, asking me questions about my past and my feelings with an intensity that made me uncomfortable.

At one point, she even mentioned something about needing to make a phone call to check on something. I tried to brush it off as nothing, but a part of me sensed that something was amiss.

After we finished working, Rachel suggested we take a walk around the block. The fresh air and exercise helped clear my head, but I couldn't shake off the feeling that I was being watched.

As we walked back to the cabin, I noticed a police car driving by slowly on the road. My heart skipped a beat as I wondered if they were looking for me.

"Rachel, did you see that?" I asked, trying to keep my voice steady.

She glanced at me innocently. "See what?"

"The police car," I said, trying to sound casual. "Do you think they're looking for me?"

Rachel's expression remained neutral. "I don't think so," she said. "Maybe they're just patrolling the area."

But I knew what I saw. And I knew that look in her eyes – a mixture of guilt and calculation.

My heart began to race as realization dawned on me. Rachel had betrayed me. She had figured out where I was hiding and had told the police.