The Memory

The agent's eyes narrowed as he stared at me, his mind racing with thoughts. "Wait a minute," he said, his voice low and measured. "I remember something."

I felt a jolt of concern, my heart pounding in my chest. "What is it?" I asked, trying to keep my voice steady.

The agent's eyes locked onto mine, his gaze intense. "It was the Smith case," he said. "Remember that one? The woman who was murdered and her body was never found?"

I nodded, trying to play it cool. "Yes, I remember it," I said.

The agent's expression turned grim. "I remember now," he said. "You were the one who was questioned in that case, weren't you?"

I felt a cold sweat break out on my forehead as I realized where this was going. I had to think fast.

"What are you talking about?" I asked, trying to sound innocent.

The agent's eyes bored into mine. "Don't play dumb, Ava," he said. "I remember now. You were the one who lied to us during the investigation. You told us you didn't know anything about the victim, but I think you knew more than you were letting on."

I felt my heart sink as I realized the agent had figured out my connection to the Smith case.

The agent's eyes seemed to bore into my soul, and I could see the wheels turning in his head. He was trying to decide whether to believe me or not.

"I don't know what you're talking about," I said again, trying to sound as innocent as possible. But I knew I had to tread carefully. If he found out that I was involved in the Smith case, everything would be over for me.

The agent sighed and rubbed his temples. "Ava, I've been investigating this case for months, and I've found some inconsistencies in your story. I think you know more than you're letting on."

I felt a bead of sweat roll down my forehead as I tried to think of a way to deflect the agent's accusations. But before I could say anything, he continued.

"Look, Ava, I'm not looking to pin this on you. But I need to know the truth. Did you have anything to do with Agent Thompson's death?"

I knew I had to be careful here. If I denied it too strongly, he might get suspicious. But if I admitted it, I'd be opening myself up to a world of trouble.

"I...I don't know what you're talking about," I said finally, trying to sound hesitant and unsure.

The agent's eyes narrowed. "Don't play dumb, Ava. You know exactly what I'm talking about. And if you don't start telling me the truth, things are going to get very complicated for you."

I felt a surge of fear at the agent's words. He was right – if he found out the truth, everything would be over for me. But how could I possibly reveal the truth without incriminating myself?