The Chase

I sprinted down the stairs, my heart pounding in my chest. I could hear the sirens getting closer and closer. I had to get out of there, and fast.

As I burst through the front door, I was greeted by a wall of flashing lights. Officer Johnson was standing there, his eyes fixed on me.

"Ava, don't move," he growled, his hand on his gun.

I didn't need any further encouragement. I took off running, weaving through the crowds of people gathered outside. I could hear Officer Johnson shouting behind me, but I didn't dare look back.

I kept running until I reached the edge of town, where the streets were quieter and less populated. I didn't stop until I was sure I'd lost him.

Panting and disheveled, I finally slowed to a stop. My mind was racing with thoughts of what to do next. I couldn't go back to my apartment - it was too risky. And I couldn't stay here - Officer Johnson would be looking for me.

As I caught my breath, a plan began to form in my mind. I would leave town, start fresh somewhere new life.YES ,yes just like everysingle time ...easy right? It was the only way to keep my secret safe...

But as I turned to make my way back into town, I saw something that made my heart skip a beat. A black sedan was parked at the edge of the road, its engine running. And behind the wheel...

Officer Johnson.

He'd found me.

I knew then that I had to think fast. And think fast, I did.

In a flash of inspiration, I remembered a contact from my past - a friend from college who owed me a favor. She lived in another state, and I knew she'd take me in.

Without hesitation, I sprinted towards the sedan, yanking open the door and diving inside just as Officer Johnson was about to pounce.