A Flicker of Doubt

As the night wore on, I felt a sense of relief wash over me as I confided in Rachel about my past. It was the first time I had shared my secrets with anyone, and it was a weight off my shoulders.

Rachel listened with a compassionate ear, and for the first time in months, I felt like I wasn't alone. But as the hours passed, I began to notice a change in her demeanor.

She was quieter than usual, and her eyes seemed distant. I brushed it off as fatigue, but a nagging feeling crept into my mind. Was something wrong?

As we settled in for the night, Rachel pulled out her phone and began scrolling through her social media feeds. I watched her with a growing sense of unease, feeling like she was avoiding me.

"Rachel, is everything okay?" I asked, trying to keep my tone light.

She looked up, her eyes flickering with a hint of guilt. "Yeah, everything's fine," she said quickly.

I searched her face, sensing that something was off. But before I could press her further, she changed the subject, asking me about my plans for the future.

I hesitated, unsure of what to say. The thought of leaving this safe haven and starting anew filled me with anxiety.

"I don't know," I admitted, feeling a sense of uncertainty wash over me.

Rachel nodded sympathetically. "You don't have to make any decisions tonight," she said. "Just rest and get some sleep."

But as I lay awake later that night, I couldn't shake off the feeling that something was wrong. That Rachel was hiding something from me.

A flicker of doubt crept into my mind. Had I been wrong to trust her?