Her M.E.A.N friend:

Today the sun was bright. I had never seen it so beautiful, yet everyone stressed that I should shelter from it. If only I could have the rays hit the tip of my tiny petal, healthy and smooth. I barely missed it when everyone gasped but when I turned, a small flower had spread out its petals in the sun. She was smiling nearly as bright as the big ball of heat. I was in awe. She was reckless, that little lovely fool. I laughed out loud because there was going to be more gasping in a second.

 🌺🌺🌺

The first years had been alright. Classes were fine. They had to be since she was giving her all. She had successfully made it into one of the socially noticeable group of girls in her class.

Elise was not one for the chaos, but she didn't fancy the quiet either. So, she had marched straight into the crowds and went with it, and boy was it wild. Talk about the madness! It was a "smile and wave" show, always and no one got left behind. You were expected to give it your all, enticed to feel the urge to do so.

Elise now knew how tedious a flower's job could be! She had to shine brightest throughout the day and all night too, keep dust-free in a tornado, elegant and happy to be there for the moment. The effort always brought results of course. On lookers who marveled at the wits of this beauty and often wanted to pluck it to claim the un-needed heroism. Others would come bearing gifts to offer to an exquisite performance while some only wanted to be the masters of the best show and get the credit they never deserve. Regardless, the flower is always expected to give a great show.

In a colorful bouquet, Elise was a purple one. She would catch their eye, almost immediately and they would linger on a while till the yellows and reds whisked them away... forever. Purple fit well for her. At times the buzz caught up with her and she craved some silence. She commended herself for the façade, quite impressive really. When they moved, she moved. If they stayed, she stayed and when they hated it all so did she.

In her first two years in the dorms, she had observed many characters, and many were irritating. Some were actually a delight, and she wished to get to know them better. A few made her sneer when mentioned but she still shared smiles with a couple others.

There was one character though.

This girl was unresponsive to anyone and anything external to her world and Elise thought it was absurd.
She kept to herself, bunked on her upper bed and oblivious to the world below. She rarely had a chat and when she did, an argument was sure to sprout. She was different without even trying, negative without reason, persistent without limit and that made her unbearable.
Truthfully, Natalie was intimidating and Elise planned on keeping her distant, never to exchange a word with her.

This year didn't look promising. All the yellow and red flowers had changed schools. A new year meant new dorms.
This sucked on all levels for Elise. With the group fallen apart, she was looking for independence right in the eye and its lonesome eye gave her the chills. At the moment, she didn't belong, and it was making her freak out. Her anxiety was getting worse by the minute.

"Elise... Do you need help?"
Someone asked, empathy in her low voice. She came up to Elise and waited for a response, patiently.

Natalie was right in-front of Elise, asking if she needed help. She did need help. From Natalie? She wasn't so sure.

"Yes, uh... I- I can't find a dorm."

"You are a week late so all the other dorms have been booked" Elise frowned, "But I can get you a bed"

"Really? That would be nice of you"
Natalie smiled at Elise's excitement. She was going to do her best to get her a bed.

"Do you mind joining my dorm?"
Elise paused and looked at the other girl.
"I don't mind, Natalie."

Elise was glad. She thanked the heavens and poked self-reliance's eye to celebrate her victory.
Not only had she secured a dorm, but she was also having a good time with Natalie. She made the funniest remarks, mostly from the embarrassing moments she was telling stories from.
Elise felt a mutual connection and couldn't deny its growth each passing minute.

How could someone be so open and frank to a stranger? Why was she so sweet?
Her laughter and actions were earnest and empathetic.

None of the two girls said it out loud but they felt a peculiar fond of acquaintance, one more than the thirty minutes they had spent together. As Elise smiled back at the girl that smiled with her eyes, she could swear this wasn't Natalie.
She actually liked Natalie and wanted to talk to her for the longer time.
They spent hours singing all kinds of songs and Elise fancied narrating to her all her favorite animations.

Elise described Natalie as M.E.A.N.
She was Mild, beneath all the stubbornness.

She was Emotional, more than anyone Elise had ever met. She teared up at the smallest things.

She was Annoying. She made Elise boil with anger sometimes.

She was Nice, something rare in people.
Elise cherished her for her good heart. Elise had a friend in Natalie. 

They were each other's confidantes.

🌺🌺🌺