The first crack:

A heart is beautiful when whole. A heart is whole when filled. I was hoping for some love and yet, you fill it to the brim with pain.

                                                               🥀🥀🥀

The high school bonfire, an eagerly anticipated event etched into the annual calendar, unfolded with a sense of ritualistic anticipation. As dusk settled over the campus grounds, students began to trickle towards the designated area, guided by the faint glow of flickering flames against the encroaching darkness. Excitement buzzed through the air like an electric current, palpable in the animated chatter and nervous laughter that echoed across the gathering crowd.

The atmosphere crackled with youthful energy and a sense of community spirit. Friends clustered together, clad in hoodies and beanies against the chill of the evening, their faces illuminated by the warm, dancing glow of the fire. Conversations flowed freely, ranging from light-hearted banter about school escapades to wistful musings about future plans and dreams.

Around the bonfire, students engaged in age-old traditions intertwined with modern sensibilities. Marshmallow roasting became an art form, as individuals armed with long sticks carefully charred the fluffy confections to golden perfection over the crackling embers. The sweet scent of toasted marshmallows mingled with the aromatic tang of wood smoke, a sensory experience that added depth to the evening's allure.

As the fire blazed higher, its flames licking the starry sky, Natalie and Elise crackled at the humorous stories that were being narrated round their fire.
It was nice gathering round and listening to people speak their minds and what they thought about different things. Round the fire was Natalie and Elise giggling endless, Sera and Riley yammering on and Garf quipping in once in a while as he came and went off to the boy's fires.

"Hey quit that, will you?" Natalie suggested to Garf who was now standing up to exit again.
"C'mon, I will be back quick"

"That's not the point", Natalie hurried to add. "Are you some middleman or something. You are just too fishy."

Garf raised his hands to show his innocence. "I just need to talk to my boys too, ok"

"Well, why not bring your boys over here cool boy." Elise smirked at Garf.
He kept silent for a moment, arms at the back. He then looked at the group of boys ahead and back to theirs. He did it again and shot Natalie a sly smile.

Natalie looked at him puzzled and she mouthed a "what's up" to him. Garf pointed to the group, nodding on.
Natalie stood up and squinted her eyes towards the direction Garf was pointing at and leaned in.
Her eyes bulged and mouth flew open. She started shaking her head and turned swiftly to face Garf's smiley face.

"No, no... Garf! No!" Natalie huffed.
"Am doing it" Garf was excited, almost jumping.

"Please, Garf" Natalie moved her hands to her lips,
now vulnerable.

"This is the best moment for this, what do you think Elise?" Garf looked at her.
Elise was completely lost at first, then she looked at both of them and squealed.
"Oh my God, is it about the cute nerd?" She squeezed Natalie's shoulders and jumped on, excited. "Where is he Natalie?"

Natalie was feeling a headache ensuing. Both her friends were excited about something that was almost tiring her heart from beating too fast.

Sera and Riley then did the honors of showing Elise what Ethan Valer looked like and Elise's excitement got doubled.
Natalie sat down in silence, getting ready to make the choice she definitely knew was bad. Her heart drummed like crazy.

"Hey, people. What's the fuss?" Ramh asked, curious and intrigued.
Riley spilled what was going on and Ramh volunteered to go with Garf. "To help out,"she stressed. Natalie cooed a hopeless "please no" and no one paid attention to it.
So, Garf walked off to the group of boys with Ramh following behind.
Natalie didn't want to look. She stood up and took a few paces away behind a tree. She was shaking and tears were just on the brink.

Looking up and trying to steady her breath, she had footsteps approaching. They were coming fast, and her heart raced with them.
Ramh jumped in front of her, eyes bulged and a grin so wide.

"You girl . . .  he said you are repugnant!" She said as if expecting Natalie to cheer. When Natalie stayed still, Ramh burst out laughing.
Natalie watched her, almost lifeless.
Elise appeared and Natalie looked the other side. She didn't want to take in all the pity that was mapped on her face. It made her feel so small.
She walked away and made her way towards Sera and Riley who were still seated at the fire.
She sat down and gazed into the fire not saying a word.

"Sorry Natalie" Sera said, turning to look at her.
"Yeah, boys! That's how they are." Riley added.

Oooh.... Natalie was raging internally.
She tried to steady her breath and calm her temper by taking deep breaths. It was in vain.
She scratched her brow and closed her eyes.
"It's nothing, am ok" She managed to say.

"Really? I don't think that's something I would brush off easily." Ramh quipped in almost immediately.

"I agree. C'mon Natalie, we know it's hurting"

Natalie opened her eyes to look at both girls whose names began with "R". She wished to give them another letter for a change, an "F"
She cursed at them with her gaze.

"I said am fine, Riley."

"Right" Ramh just had to add on.
Natalie then gave in. She was too angry to talk back and too broken to try to fix everything.
She wept in anger and pain.
Elise held Natalie as she cried, hushing her with back rubs. The other three girls had fallen silent.
As Elise consoled her friend, a commotion broke out ahead.
Boys were holding back a hot headed Garf who was stared down a bewildered Ethan.

"Why the heck would you say that man?!" Garf barked as he struggled to wiggle away from Illai's firm grip. Ethan just stayed silent.
He had known him to be arrogant, but this was mean, and to think Natalie is head over heels for this jerk was in fact repugnant.  Garf couldn't hate him more.
He was a disgrace!

As the evening drew to a close, and the fire began to wane, students lingered a moment longer. The embers glowed like fading memories, casting a soft, nostalgic glow over the faces of those that had gathered around. With reluctant steps, they dispersed into the night, carrying with them the indelible imprint of an unforgettable bonfire, etched into the tapestry of their high school years.

                                      🥀🥀🥀