HUH?

I took a poison so deadly. I gulped it without caution, but now I feel it slowly draining my life. As I squirm on the ground, a small bottle rolls out from my pockets. I am astonished. An antidote.

                                      🪄🪄🪄

"Riley definitely thinks so," Natalie sheepishly giggled, remembering the cute gesture as Riley had narrated it.

"Why is that?" came the voice from the other end of the phone call.

"Every girl was in awe at such a thoughtful boyfriend you were. A surprise birthday party was_"

"Wait a second, boyfriend? Whose boyfriend, Riley?"

"Yeah, weren't you guys dating. She told us about the birthday party you planned for her back in high school. Charming gentleman you are, huh."

Illai's chuckle was croaky over the phone. Natalie pictured him blushing on the other end.
"Gosh, this is kinda awkward for me Natalie," his voice rasped, "Riley and I are good friends. We go to the same church and hang out sometimes. She did have a tiny crush on me back then and I had hoped friendly gestures would soften the blow of turning her down"

"Oh," Natalie cooed as she pieced the dots together, "but she's a good girl, very social and lovable. You really missed your chance."
Thinking about it, they would have made a lovely couple. Too bad they never happened. Natalie pouted at the thought.

"Well, I've been really hoping for yours."

"Huh?" Natalie's heart thumped out of control.
She held her breath and got up from her bed. Her mind was all over the place. Was he gonna confess his feelings? Her eyes widened, Oh my God he was.
She panicked, pacing around and chewing at her nails.

She ended the call.

Her body was trembling. She needed to talk to Elise. What was she going to do or say to him? She wasn't ready for this. She never had been.
Was he going to call again?
"No, no, no_," she mouthed them repeatedly as she walked round her bed, staring at the black screen.

"Please don't call back, please don't, please."
Natalie wished he could hear her whispers and actually change his mind about whatever he was going to tell her.

The screen lit up and the phone buzzed.
Natalie felt her heart leap, shooting an impulse to her head that started throbbing immediately.
If only Elise were here.
She would know what else to do because she was not picking up that call. Natalie watched it until the screen went black again.

Ten minutes later, after making sure he wasn't going to make any more attempts to call, Natalie dialed Elise's number.
She picked up almost immediately.

"I need your help," she muttered, cutting off Elise's joyful hello, "what do I do?"

"Breathe Natalie, what happened? My God!"

"Uhm, do you recall Illai Watts?"

"Riley's boyfriend? Yeah, I do. What about him?"
Natalie rolled her eyes. This wasn't the time to explain how they never even dated. "Yeah, so what do I say if he happens to say he likes me?"

"What! Are you serious Natalie? Oh my God, really?!"
Natalie didn't understand how Elise's exclamation turned from shocked to excited.

"Yes, and I hang up before he could," Natalie shyly whispered, "I don't know where this is coming from."

"Aw, you charmed the poor guy. Mr. Watts wants a missus, and I think it's you he wants... Miss Simmons." Elise stressed the last part.

"Seriously! What about Riley? She's perfect for him."
Elise chuckled from the other end, "Na-ah, doesn't seem like it. So, what are you gonna say?"

"I asked you first. What do you mean what am I gonna say?" Natalie was bewildered, "what should I say?"
Elise laughed out, "How about you first hear him out, okay? Am sure you will figure what to tell him right after."

"You think so? I will give it a try then— if he calls back coz I ain't starting the talk."

"Mr. Watts has his hands full for sure"

Both girls laughed, "Thanks Elise. Lots of love, bye" Natalie hang up, sighing.

She went out for a walk. Some fresh air would be great.

...

It had been a relief that he had finally cleared up the "Riley and him dating" rumor with Natalie.
Things between him and Riley were good. The terms of friendship were mutual now. She had gotten over him, much so that she had dated guys. They were good guys too. They were friends and that was it.

But with Natalie he knew he wanted something more than a friend. He was attracted to her in a way he could only term beautiful.
She was bright, intelligent, reserved yet so knowing, and when she talked—he wanted to hear her talk forever.
His excitement for her aura and presence frightened him. Keeping it all in this long hadn't been easy.
He wanted her to be his, to have her in all her beauty. How could he say it less obsessively?

"Well, I've been hoping for yours."
His heart pounded really fast. He then choked on his words. What was he going to say next?
She was silent too.
Was she shocked? Was that a good thing?
He needed to say something, anything, but right before he uttered a word, the call ended.
"She hung up. Oh no, what do I do now?" He sat down in silence, tapping his phone repeatedly.

Then without hesitation he dialed her number again.
She didn't pick up.

He became impatient.
He began thinking out loud, "the weekend starts tomorrow, right? I have no classes, hopefully she doesn't have any too," he paced around, "I can drive to her university. I can get there by Sunday."
He went silent again.
"Oh my God, Illai!" He laughed at himself, bringing his hands to his head.
After another moment of silence, he moved swiftly, grabbing a coat, a clean shirt and a bag. He shoved them in and went on to collect his wallet, phone and car keys.

When he was all set, he took a deep breath and stepped out of his room, bag and car keys in hand. He locked the room and made his way to a black Chevy truck in the parkway.
The engine revved with a start and he sighed once more, "God, please let this be worth it."

And he was off.

                                   🪄🪄🪄