Opposites, right?:

You see, am this and you are that. You are there and am here. We aren't the same. I need you to act like it.

💫💫💫

Natalie had returned back to school. This time, more focused and intentional as she had promised Mrs. Simmons. Despite not opening up to her, Natalie had appreciated the help her mother had given. She felt good to be back, good to get a shot at redemption.

"Guess who is earlier this time round?" Elise asked as she approached Natalie who was holding some stuff, "let me have that."
Natalie smiled at her, "thanks Elise."
They headed for the dorms to get Natalie settled in.

Natalie was so glad no one tried to mention anything about the bonfire night. She had talked to Sera and Riley only briefly even though they had a lot to tell from the holidays. Sera had gone for a trip to the countryside with her family.

"It's the most peaceful I have ever felt. The freshness is obsessive. The grasslands oh, my god_" she had gone on about it and Natalie was intrigued in all she had to say about the country life.

Natalie liked the thought of beautiful sunsets and calming night rains. She would have loved to roll down on the grass and fill her nostrils with flowery scents.
She intended to draw such a landscape. That was the closest she could get at the moment.

And Riley had engaged them in talks about her Sunday school and Illai or Mr. Watts as Natalie preferred to call him ever since their first mention of him.

"He organized a birthday surprise party for me some time back," she had said boastfully and then hurried to add, "not that i asked for it or anything"

Natalie was happy for her. "He's sweet, Riley. Congratulations and a happy belated birthday"

"Thanks, Natalie"

They were off to the classrooms the following day. The chatter couldn't be any louder. The excitement of telling tales and revealing each other's adventures was unmatched. It was to go on for the whole week.

Natalie planned to get to writing during that time.

She wanted to talk to Ramh but she, Ramh, wasn't showing any interest in her, rather in most boys of the class.
Natalie figured they could talk after a while.
After that while, they finally had the chance to talk.
From their talk, Natalie did notice a sense of caution in Ramh's choice of words. She also noticed how the other girl posed once in a while to get Natalie's reaction. Natalie had partly blamed herself for Ramh's adjustments. She appreciated it so much that she was now more empathetic, but she still loved to crack her ribs in laughter with her too.

She had given Ramh some closure, "We are good Ramh, ok".
Ramh had gone on and searched her face and then smiled, "phew! I was really hoping you would say that. How are you though?"

"Oh me, Natalie touched her chest, I am doing just fine. This heart of mine will have to smile it off like the joker."
And Ramh had replied, "Batman stands no chance, sheesh."
They had laughed at their silliness once more.

Natalie tried as much to keep her gaze or attention off of Ethan. She hadn't looked his way once or paid any attention to care what was going on with and around him. She was not sure how long she was going to keep it up but she didn't care.
If he didn't want her, she was going to suck it up and try not to either.
Classes for the day were a success. She was done for the day and getting ready to head back to the dorms. It was quite nice being anti-Ethan. She hadn't experienced any jolts of embarrassment, reoccurring fantasies about him or curiosities of what he was doing. It felt relaxing too.

As the teacher made his way out and students started to chatter as they got their stuff packed, Natalie was shoving her property in her school bag.
She suddenly froze in place. Something was off. Her invisible eyes, now at her left shoulder were alerting her about someone's stare.
"Hold up. The left? That is_" Her eyes shot up from her bag. She prayed for it to be someone else. Any other person but not him.
She turned to look swiftly after finding the courage to actually confirm who it was.

Ethan was standing up, school bag on his back with one strap held by his right arm and he was looking down at her.

Natalie saw him get startled, pinch his ear and walk away fast towards and out the door.
She had lingered for some time, reconfirming what she had just seen. She rolled her eyes in disbelief, zipped up her bag and made her way out of the classroom.

When she got outside, she smiled and waved to Garf who seemed to be in a hurry.
"See. You. Tomorrow," she managed to read his lips. Natalie believed he was off to the library to get some books to finish up his holiday assignment. She laughed at him inwardly. He had to tell her about it the next day.

Just as Natalie turned to head the other way, still laughing lightly, she didn't miss Ethan's frame standing far from her... looking at her.
She looked back, frowned, then looked away and kept walking.

She was not happy.

💫💫💫