Chapter 24: Introductions & Trauma

~* Chapter 24 *~

~* Introductions & Trauma *~

TW: Mentions of abuse and childhood trauma

All of the students were eating in the Great Hall after the sorting ceremony had finished. Cordelia sat with her friends at the Hufflepuff table with her friends. She would occasionally look over to the Gryffindor table to see Fred looking at her. They would make eye contact and smile, with Fred winking at her, before returning to their conversations.

Cordelia and Fred had not spoken about their kiss, but people could see that there was something different about the two. They would blush and smile more when they caught the other's eye, and the flirting escalated. On occasion, they would hold each other's hands.

Neither teen knew what this meant. Did it mean anything? Were they together? Were they just friends, or were they something more? Did Cordelia want it? Did Fred? Both Cordelia and Fred knew what they wanted, but they didn't know what the other was thinking. All of these questions flooded both of their minds.

Cordelia looked cool and collected about it, but she did wonder why Fred never brought it up and she was starting to have her doubts. She wondered if she had done something wrong, or maybe he had changed his mind. Maybe he regretted the kiss, or maybe the kiss showed him that he didn't really have those feelings.

Cordelia tried not to think about those thoughts as she listened to Dumbledore's usual beginning of the year speech, when it was interrupted by the atmosphere in the hall quickly changing. The enchanted sky above their heads grew dark with storm clouds. Thunder roared, making students jump. A spark of lightning danced across the ceiling, causing students to duck.

A strange man with a walking stick, a peg leg, and a rotating glass eye used his wand to shoot a spell at the ceiling. The atmosphere changed back to normal and the stranger walked to the staff table.

"Let me introduce you to your new Defense Against the Dark Arts professor, Alastor Moody," Dumbledore introduced the man.

"Now that we're all settled in and sorted, I'd like to make an announcement. This castle will not only be your home this year but home to some very special guests as well. You see, Hogwarts has been choosen..." Dumbledore stopped his speech when Filch ran into the Great Hall. He limped with his legs bowed and he had his arms flailing around as he ran.

"I can't believe he runs like that," said Kiana as she snickered, earning an elbow to the arm by Cordelia who hid her amusement.

"As I was saying," Professor Dumbledore continued. "Hogwarts has been choosen to host a legendary event: The Triwizard tournament.
Now for those of you who do not know, the Triwizard tournament brings together three schools for a series of magical contests. From each school a single contestant is selected to compete. Now let me be clear, if chosen, you stand alone. And trust me when say these contests are not for the faint hearted, but more of that later.
For now please join me in welcoming the lovely ladies of the Beauxbatons Academy of magic and their headmistress Madam Maxime."