Chapter 1: Hogwarts & Howlers

~* Chapter 1 *~

~* Hogwarts & Howlers *~

TW: Panic attack

Cordelia walked through the barrier of Platform 9 ¾ with her family to be welcomed by the sight of a magnificent red train. Cordelia smiled wide as she took in the sight. She was in awe, as she didn't expect the train to be so big.

Her eyes scanned the area as she watched other students bid goodbye to their families, being engulfed in hugs and kisses. Cordelia would be lying if she said she wasn't jealous at the parental affection others received. She wished her family was happy and affectionate towards her in that way. She was brought out of her thoughts by her father placing his hand on her shoulder, so she turned to him to show she was listening.

"Now, Cordelia, make sure to honor our family namr. Only speak to pure-bloods. No socializing with mud-bloods. You better not get into any trouble, and you better get into Slytherin. Do not ruin our family's reputation in any way. If you dismiss my instructions, you will be punished when you return home."

Cordelia gulped and nodded her head. "Yes, Father."

"Be good, little one." Her mother said softly, bringing the small girl into a hug. Cordelia hugged her mother and brother before she stepped onto the train.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Cordelia stood in a line of first years, watching everyone take their turn to sit on the stool and wear the sorting hat. She was so nervous that she barely registered the other students being sorted into their houses. Though she did not want it for herself, she knew what house she needed to be in.

"Cordelia Malfoy," a woman's call of brought Cordelia back to the present. She nervously walked up to the stool and sat down.

When the hat was placed on her head, she heard a deep voice speak in her head. "Ah, a Malfoy! I know exactly where to place you."

"Please," she whispered. "I need to be in Slytherin."

"Slytherin, eh?" The hat questioned. "No, No. Slytherin is not the house for you. It must be... HUFFLEPUFF!"

As the hat shouted, whispers started to spread through the hall. Everyone who knew the Malfoys knew they were all in Slytherin, and having one in Hufflepuff was unexpected and surprising.

Cordelia walked to the Hufflepuff table and sat down. She looked toward the Slytherin table, where she made eye contact with Theodore Nott and Adrian Pucey, two boys from her childhood. They frowned and shook their heads at her before turning towards their dinner. Cordelia kept to herself throughout the meal, keeping her head down as she picked out thr food on her plate with her fork.

After dinner, Cordelia followed the rest of the Hufflepuff first years to the dorms. They were led down some stairs and to a corridor. One of the prefects pointed out a painting of fruit and mentioned that was the entrance to the kitchen, informing them that they would have to figure out how to get in on their own, as no one is supposed to know. The prefects stopped in front of a pile of barrels, confusing the first years.