Chapter 18: Dementors & Boggarts

~* Chapter 18 *~

~* Dementors & Boggarts *~

On the train to Hogwarts, Cedric and Cordelia sat in her usual compartment with her friends, and they were up to their usual antics of jokes and Exploding Snap

On the train to Hogwarts, Cedric and Cordelia sat in her usual compartment with her friends, and they were up to their usual antics of jokes and Exploding Snap. When the train got closer to the station, the girls went to the bathroom to change into school uniforms. Fred watched the girls leave, not taking his eyes off Cordelia until the door was fully closed.

“So, Cedric… What is going on between you and Cordelia?” Fred inquired once he knew the girls were out of earshot. Cedric smirked, guessing why Fred was asking him this question.

“I love her,” said Cedric as he smirked mischievously, watching Fred’s hopeful expression fall. “She is my best friend. I know her better than she knows herself, and she knows me better than I do. I would do anything to protect her and keep her safe. I love her… As a sister.”

Fred's expressions changed as he grew more hopeful once more at that statement.

“Can you three keep a secret between us?” asked Cedric, who had decided he could trust the boys with his secret when all of the boys nodded. “My parents are trying to get parental custody over Cordelia. They are trying to legally adopt her and when they do, she will truly and officially be my sister.”

Fred's small smile grew into a grin with this information. He was still relieved at their platonic, sibling-like relationship status, but he was happy to hear that the girl will finally have the family she deserves.

“Bloody hell. That’s huge!” George, exclaimed. “Why wouldn't it work out, though? Everything seems great with your family.”

“it's not that,” Cedric informed the boys. “There's a lot that can go wrong. They have to hire a Ministry social worker to give approval. The Malfoys have to agree to it, too. My parents might need a lawyer if they refuse… And after all that, it comes down to her choice.”

“And she has no clue?” asked Lee. “How are you able to keep this big a secret?”

“Of course I can't keep it a secret if I told you lot.” Cedric declared. “But seriously, you can't say anything. She doesn’t know. She did hear part of the conversation, though not all of it. She thought we were getting rid of her at first, but I told her we had a surprise. She thought we were getting her a puppy.” Cedric chuckled, remembering their dramatic conversation and Cordelia’s panicked attempt to run away.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

In the corridor, a few doors away from their compartment, Cordelia and Kiana were walking back with their Muggle clothes folded in their arms. They were giggling and lightly pushing each other with their hips as they walked.

The train came to a halt when the girls were walking back to their compartment. Both girls stumbled at the sudden stop, but were able to catch themselves on the nearby wall.