Chapter 36: Anchored to the Past

Quincy walked through the familiar streets of her old hometown, the steady rain soaking through her clothes but failing to dampen her resolve. Each step was deliberate, her pace slow yet steady, as if she were trying to savour every moment of this journey.

She had finally done it—she had apologised to the boy she had bullied so many years ago, just like her sister asked, and he had been willing to forgive her just like her sister promised. The weight that lifted from her shoulders was palpable, yet it left behind a different kind of heaviness.

The road she walked was both familiar and foreign. The tall oak tree that used to stand sentinel at the corner was gone, replaced by a freshly planted sapling. Houses that were once bright and welcoming were now either covered in rust or overgrown with vines. Others had been repainted, their exteriors gleaming with newness. The changes were stark, a reminder of the relentless passage of time.

Quincy paused at the edge of the playground where she used to spend her afternoons, staying out of her house for as long as she could. The swings creaked under the weight of the rain, and the merry-go-round was now just a rusty skeleton. She remembered the laughter, tears, the petty fights, and the friendships that had long since faded.

The surroundings had changed, just as she had. But while the town had moved on, Quincy felt anchored to her past.

She knew she was holding onto her past because it was easier than letting go. The memories of her mother and sister, the guilt of her actions, the pain of her losses—they were all threads woven into the fabric of her being.

Letting go meant unweaving herself, and that thought terrified her. What she didn't want to acknowledge was that she was clinging to the pain because it felt like it was all she had left. Pain was a constant, something she could rely on when everything else was uncertain.

She had forgotten that she had good memories too, times of laughter and happiness, they felt too far faded whereas the pain felt true and oh so very real.

Quincy continued her walk, her thoughts heavy. She needed to change, just like everything around her had. She needed to let go, to find new threads to weave into her life. The rain was beginning to lighten, and she looked up at the grey sky, a faint hope stirring within her. Maybe, just maybe, she could start anew, some day.

As she reached the end of the street, she glanced back one last time, taking in the changes, the reminders of what was and what could be. Then, with a deep breath, she turned and walked away.

When Quincy arrived at Andrea's house, where Ivan had taken Taylor, she hesitated at the door. The emotional weight of her visit to her hometown school still clung to her, making her feel uneasy.

As she stood there, lost in her thoughts, Andrea opened the door and immediately saw the turmoil in Quincy's eyes. Without a word, the older woman pulled her into a motherly hug, offering comfort and stability.

"I'm happy to see you, Quin," Andrea said warmly. "I'm making dinner, so I hope you've worked up an appetite."

Quincy smiled, her heart warming at Andrea's kindness. "I could definitely eat," she replied, trying to shake off the lingering melancholy.

Inside, Taylor heard her mother's voice and left the dining room to investigate. As she walked into the hallway, she saw Quincy standing there, looking more vulnerable than she had ever seen her. Her heart took a leap, a mix of relief and something deeper filling her chest.

Quincy, absorbed in listening to Andrea list off what she was preparing for dinner, hadn't noticed Taylor yet. Andrea was animatedly talking about roasted chicken, mashed potatoes, and fresh green beans, her voice full of the comforting normalcy that Quincy craved.