Chapter 37: Unexpected Support

But when she answered the call, it was Owen Hayes, the man who had forgiven her for unknowingly helping his wife cheat, the man who was inspired by her to keep being a good father despite everything his wife did.

"Quin," Owen began, his voice a mix of concern and apology.

"Owen? How did you get my number?" Quincy asked, her tone cautious.

Owen sighed. "I went to your home hoping to find you there, but I was met with a rather witty lady. She gave me your number."

Quincy frowned, thinking of Kelly. "How can I be of service?"

"I wanted to talk to you, tell you I don't know why Sarah is busy blasting our personal matters on social media. But I want you to know that I'm willing to stand up for you, speak out against her if necessary."

Quincy shook her head, even though he couldn’t see her. "No, Owen. You're right. This is personal, and no one else has any say. It's best to leave it be."

Owen hesitated. "I called for a divorce, Quin. I think Sarah is lashing out because of that. I'm sorry for complicating your life further."

Quincy felt a pang of empathy. "You have nothing to apologise for, Owen. I'm sorry for what you're going through."

"I appreciate that," Owen replied. "But know that if you need anything, even if it's just someone to vouch for your character, I'm here."

Quincy managed a small smile. "Thank you, Owen. I appreciate that."

Quincy thanked Owen for the call, and he added, "When you're back in town, I'd love to have a coffee and catch up."

"I'll see," Quincy replied, not wanting to commit but appreciating the offer. After a final exchange of gratitude, they ended the call.

After the call ended, Quincy took a deep breath, feeling a mix of relief and sadness. She turned to the Swifts, who were watching her with concern.

Quincy sat down on the chair and stared at the table, lost in thought. She finally looked up at the Swifts, who were waiting for her to speak. "That was the husband, Owen," she said, slipping her phone back into her pocket. "He offered to stand up for me, but I told him it was best to leave it be." They could hear that there was more than relief in her tone. Part of Quincy was very upset with the situation.

Taylor exchanged glances with her mother and brother. Andrea and Austin stood up and quietly left the room, giving the two women privacy. Taylor took the seat next to Quincy, where her brother had been sitting.

Without saying a word, Taylor reached out and took Quincy's hand. Quincy, feeling a mix of shame and vulnerability, kept her eyes fixed on the table, unable to meet Taylor's gaze.

Taylor gently lifted Quincy's chin, her heart aching at the sight of unshed tears in Quincy's eyes. For a moment, she was speechless, but she found the strength to continue. "Quincy, no matter what anyone says about you, especially the bad things, I won't believe them. I know you're a good person."

Quincy blinked, and a tear slipped down her cheek. She wanted to look away, but Taylor's delicate hold on her face felt like it was keeping her together. "Taylor, I'm not as good as you believe me to be," Quincy breathed out, her voice strained with emotion.

Taylor shook her head, her expression unwavering. "The Quincy I know and care for is one of the most caring and loyal people I've ever met. Maybe other people don't know the same Quincy, but their version of you isn't going to change what I see and think of you."

Quincy was too overwhelmed to respond. The conversation echoed one she'd once had with her mother, a reminder of the unconditional love she'd once received. She closed her eyes and leaned her head on Taylor's shoulder, seeking solace in the familiarity and comfort of her presence.