Chapter 43: Past Shadows, Present Light

[]I apologise if to anyone who had been affected by the events of Brazils shows. I know it doesn't change the fact or make up for it, but for my own sake in my story everyone is safe. Quincy made sure of it🌻💜 Love and thoughts to anyone affected,
From Author🏹
To Dear Reader🫶[]

Quincy woke up to the sound of Taylor mumbling outside her door. She blinked groggily, trying to decide whether to ignore it or investigate, but before she could make a decision, the door creaked open. Taylor tiptoed in, holding a cupcake in her palm, her face a mixture of determination and apprehension.

Taylor nearly dropped the cupcake when she saw Quincy awake and watching her, but she quickly offered a smile, holding the cupcake out. "Happy birthday," she said softly.

Before Quincy could properly process everything, she found herself on her feet, hands over Taylor's to hide the cupcake. In her haste, she accidentally burned her finger and palm on the tiny flame. Her skin snuffed the flame out.

Seeing Taylor's worried blue eyes, Quincy pulled her hands away, sighing as she moved to the other side of the bed, hoping some distance from the cupcake would ease her anxious thoughts. Quincy grumbled, wishing that whoever told Taylor about her birthday would stub their toe.

Birthdays were not her favourite. They left her with an irrational feeling of impending doom. This fear was born from her father beating her the morning after her birthday, claiming he was making up for all her misdemeanours the previous day.

Most celebrations made her anxious, and she hated feeling anxious.

"I'm sorry," Quincy said, trying to appear unbothered, though her eyes kept darting back to the cupcake.

Taylor, noticing her discomfort, asked, "Are you allergic to something in the cupcake? I can get another one."

Quincy shook her head. "No, it's not that," she assured her.

She didn't want to shut Taylor out, but she felt like she had to protect her own heart. The proximity and vulnerability Taylor's presence elicited was overwhelming.

She felt like her heart was at the tip of Taylor's fingertips, like all Taylor had to do was reach out, and she would have it all. The idea both terrified and excited her.

Taylor kept pressing gently, "Then what is it?" She asked, her voice soft and full of concern.

"It's... complicated," Quincy finally said, avoiding Taylor's gaze. "Celebrations," She took a deep breath, trying to steady herself, "aren't really for me. They bring up... some bad memories."

Taylor's eyes softened with understanding. "I'm sorry. I didn't know."

Taylor set the cupcake down on the nightstand and approached Quincy, who found herself trapped between the bed and the wall. She cursed herself, imagining that’s how cornered animals felt.

Quincy's heart raced, her anxiety fueling thoughts that annoyed her: Taylor can corner you and get you, don't let your guard down, she could have a weapon. Quincy was revolted by the way her anxious mind utilised all her training to make her wary of those she could trust.

Taylor watched Quincy with curious uncertainty. She noticed that Quincy seemed anxious yet firm at the same time until she tried approaching. She watched Quincy visibly fight herself.

It was one of those moments where Quincy got so caught up in the fight against past battles that she lost touch with reality.

Taylor remembered that same look as the one Quincy had while drenched in rain—a look that told her Quincy was on the battlefield, facing age-old fears, drowning in familiar waters, fighting a battle she had already won at the cost of something only time could tell.