Chapter 44: The Protectors Plight

The tour moved to São Paulo, and Taylor was having the most fun, feeling invigorated by the energy of the Brazilian fans.

Every time she rushed off the stage, she found Quincy holding her towel and a bottle of water, a comforting and reliable presence. Taylor was deeply grateful for Quincy, especially during the last few shows.

Quincy had worked extra hours to ensure there was enough water and extra cases of water scattered around the stadium, determined to prevent any recurring incidents of dehydration among the crew and fans.

She also coordinated with Elie to work with local hospitals, ensuring extra medical personnel were on hand to keep an eye on everyone and make sure they were okay.

Despite her meticulous planning for everyone else's well-being, Quincy had neglected her own needs. As Taylor pushed through the last few songs of her set, Quincy felt herself growing increasingly dizzy. She tried to shake it off, focusing on her tasks, but her vision began to blur.

Seeing Quincy unsteady, Carlos, one of the security team members, rushed to her side. "Quin, are you okay?" he asked, concern etched on his face.

Quincy waved him off weakly. "I'm fine, Carlos. Just need to get to Taylor's dressing room."

Carlos wasn't convinced. "You don't look fine. Let me help you."

Quincy nodded reluctantly, allowing Carlos to support her as they made their way backstage.

Each step felt heavier than the last, and her breathing grew more laboured. She knew the scent of sandalwood in Taylor's dressing room would help, but it seemed miles away.

Just as they reached the hallway leading to the dressing room, Quincy stumbled, her legs giving out. Carlos caught her before she could hit the ground, his grip firm yet gentle.

"Hold on, Quin. We're almost there," Carlos reassured her, his voice steady.

Elie, who had spotted Quincy's empty spot, was now hot on their heels. Quincy's head snapped around, eyes wide and disoriented as she mumbled incoherent words.

Elie saw Quincy jerk and try to get away from Carlos. "Carlos, let go!" she called urgently.

But Carlos didn't follow the instructions fast enough, resulting in Quincy punching him, knocking him out before she spun around to take in her surroundings.

"Everyone clear the area!" Elie shouted, closing the door to prevent Quincy from leaving the dressing room.

Elie tried calming Quincy down. "Quin, it's me, Elie. You're safe," she said gently, but Quincy couldn't hear her. She was trapped in her own mind, reliving her first-ever failed rescue mission in heat rivalling the current heatwave. The mission was a failure due to her dehydration after giving a child all her water.

The fatigue and anxiety caused by the heat paired with the sound of imagined children screaming had triggered an onslaught of memories she had worked so hard to bury.

"Quin, focus on my voice," Elie called out, approaching slowly. But Quincy, caught up in a PTSD attack, didn't recognise her.

"Get away!" Quincy warned, throwing Elie to the ground. She scrambled back up, trying to think of another approach.

Quincy was overwhelmed by unwanted emotions. "No!" She cried out in frustration, demanding the thoughts and feelings to stop, but it only got worse. Tears streamed down her face as she grabbed hold of Taylor's make-up chair, seeking something to ground her.

"Quin, please!" Elie shouted, trying to reach through to her. But Quincy let out a low roar of frustration and flung the chair across the room. Elie ducked just in time as it hit the wall, breaking into pieces.