Chapter 27

Finally it was time. The bright flash of lightning hit the sky in the middle of Aurelia's study session with Lily in the library. The witch slammed her book shut and stood up. "Sorry Lily, I forgot I was supposed to meet the boys for something!" Lily was given no time to respond as the brunette hurried out of the dorm. She didn't want to waste any time, so she didn't stop and grab any of the boys on her way to the Room of Requirement. To her surprise, James was already leaned against the wall, his eyes meeting hers as she approached rapidly. No words were spoken as she paced before the wall, a simple door seemingly popping up which allowed them access to her finished potion.

"Be careful Rels, you don't have to do this if you aren't ready." James held her hand as she tried to rush inside.

Her chin was held high in a confidence that matched no other. "I'm ready James." She stepped back, wand in one hand, potion in the other. The tip of her wand pointed straight at her heart as she took a deep breath. She flashed a smile at James who held his own wand in hand for safety reasons. "Amato Animo Animato Animagus." The words were clear and steady right before she chugged her potion.

The feeling was immediate. It was painful and intense, bringing the witch to her knees with a groan. Her wand fell to the ground as she clutched at her chest. Two heartbeats pounded within her. James took two steps forward, wanting nothing more than to stop her pain. "Rellie, what is it? What can I do?" She shakily held up one hand to stop him, making the boy fall to his own knees before her. A safe distance between them, despite him wanting to pick her up and carry her to the infirmary. "For Merlin's sake Aurelia, let me get —."

His eyes widened as she gripped her head, pulling slightly at her hair. Flashes of snow and the shadow of an animal entered her mind. The animal stalked back and forth in her head with a cunning playful grin. Aurelia refused to cave in to the pain and showed no fear as she faced the animal. Slowly the pain disappeared as a snowy white Arctic fox sat in front of her. Her hands dropped to her sides and James leaned forward to grab her wand. All of a sudden she screamed, and he moved quickly to her side. His hands hovered just over her, and he wanted nothing more than to take away her pain.

A gasp escaped his mouth as her hair changed from a dark brown to a stark white color. She curled over as her body morphed into a different animal. James blinked rapidly and rubbed his eyes when her new form appeared. "Oh thank Godric you're at least in one form, better than being a half human half animal thing. Mum would've had my head if she received an owl from your Uncle that this went wrong." The Arctic fox paid no attention to him, instead focusing on the paws that were present instead of hands. Aurelia stood up and turned around to see a fluffy tail. James easily spotted some of her features in the animal. First the eyes, they were the same dark brown that always brought him warmth and comfort. The same eyes that always seem to shimmer with joy and laughter. The next were two small black spots where she had beauty marks on her face. One below her eye and the other near her jawline. The last thing he noticed was on the tip of her ears and tail. The fur at the very tips was her usual dark brown, with the smallest of curls at the end. It would be barely noticeable if you looked from afar. Her Animagus form was truly stunning to him. For several moments, he watched with softened eyes as she pranced and hopped around, trying to figure out how to use her new limbs. "I hate to interrupt, but can you turn back Princess? It's getting late and the boys are probably worried since we haven't returned." He held out her wand, and the fox trotted over. She nearly stumbled as she lost balance due to the addition of a tail. She grabbed a hold of her wand with her teeth and tried picturing her human self.

For a moment they waited, and nothing happened. She blinked up at him before shutting her eyes and trying again. "Bollocks." James muttered before scooping her up. He shoved her into his robes, doing his best to conceal the animal as he walked out of the room. His steps were quick as he tried hurrying to the Gryffindor common room. However, Professor Slughorn happened to be strolling the corridors at the same time.

"Ah Mr. Potter! How's your father doing?"

James halted to a stop and Aurelia went deathly still to try and keep herself hidden. "Very well Professor, if you don't mind I have somewhere to be." He clutched onto the bundle in his robes a little tighter, causing Aurelia to let out a tiny squeak.

"What do you have in there Mr. Potter?" Slughorn eyed the boy's nervous posture skeptically.

"Oh it was just my er stomach sir. I'm a growing lad, I'm hungry all the time." He started walking backwards away from the professor. "Truly sorry, I have to go water the mandrakes now. Pleasure talking with you!" As he reached the corner of the corridor, he turned and took off running. He took the stairs to his dorm two at a time, throwing open the door and slamming it shut behind him.

"Are the bloody dementors after you James? Why are you running like that?" Sirius sat up and rubbed his eyes.

Peter also sat up, "Where's Aurelia? Did you find her? The lightning storm happened."

James opened his robes and Aurelia jumped out. She stretched her limps and flared up at James before walking over to Remus' bed. The werewolf stared at her with wide eyes before looking back at James. "Why is she still a bloody animal?!"

James ran his hand through his hair nervously, "She tried to turn back, but it hasn't happened yet."

"We should take her to Minnie." Remus reached down to pick her up only to be swatted away with her paw.

"No! Give her the rest of the night! She will get in big trouble if they find out." Sirius spoke up.

"At least she's not a fish." Peter chuckled. She sent a glare his way before gesturing to Sirius, trying to signal that he's right.

James grabbed his blanket and wrapped it around her. "Keep trying love, I need my best friend back."

For hours, the boys waited. Peter ended up dozing off. The other three sat around patiently. They played cards, listened to music, and even worked on their assignments to keep themselves from being nervous wrecks. James kept glancing in her direction to make sure she was alright. Sirius noted the concern that was written all over his face, and he patted his back. "Don't worry mate, we will get this all sorted out."

Just as he said it, the whirring sound of magic came from her direction. The witch yelped and wrapped herself tight in the blanket. Due to her inexperience, she forgot one of the most important parts. Transfiguring her clothes. All three boys looked over to see a flustered Aurelia. "Look away!" She buried her face in the blanket.

Sirius and Remus whipped their heads in the opposite direction, whereas James furrowed his brows. "James" Remus scolded him, "Get her some clothes."

"OH!" The boy stood up and rummaged through his clothes. He pulled out his old quidditch jersey, a pair of boxers, and lounge shorts. With one hand over his eyes, he held the clothes out for Aurelia. She stood up, with the blanket around her and grabbed the clothes from his hand before hurrying to the bathroom.

"Thanks boys." She smiled as she walked out in the new clothes. "That was amazing!" Aurelia hugged both Sirius and Remus before turning to James who was staring at her with an odd expression. One that the two other boys caught on to immediately. "Did you see that James?! I actually did it!" She jumped into his arms in excitement. He blinked, his arms hesitating just briefly before wrapping around her tightly.

"I'm so proud of you Princess. I'm happy you're alright though. I was worried there for a moment." He let out a sigh as he hugged her close.