New home, friends & foes

Isolated from the outside crowded atmosphere, in an abandoned storage room at the end of the hall, a pair of two friends finally met after a long period of separation. Charles Arnold, ex-ace pilot, and one of his close friends whose Wilson is his surname, who he still keeps contact with after his retirement. Long time they haven't seen each other, until today, when the old friend called him to visit his new accommodation, and to discuss one thing that he said he cannot not told him until they meet up face to face with each other.

Now the two friends are sitting opposite to the others, enjoying wine from the cups Wilson asked from the soldiers. Before talking about anything, some alcohol should be consumed to make their words easier to say and receive.

"Ahh..."-the man named Wilson breathes out after a few cups-"Again, long time no see, Arnold. Where have you been all the time?"

"Still in Waldreich, haven't moved ever since."-Charles replies-"Glad that you are still fine after all of that mess, especially when the coup hit Oured and the surrounding areas the harshest. Anyhow, how is your wife and son?"

"My wife is fine, she is in Hawaii...my son is...that is why I am calling you here, Charles Arnold, Phoenix."

Wilson's face suddenly becomes serious, although Charles does not really see so because his face was a bit red from the alcohol. But when he called him by his tac name Charles knows the "something" that Wilson mentioned much be related to his old career:

"Another cup?"-Charles raises the bottle of wine ignoring his friend's expression, but Wilson rejected:

"I think I've drunk enough, I cannot owe you further after this request."

"What request?"

Wilson looks at his friend, he continues:

"James was sent to Europe in an expedition force."

"I know, I've heard from many people, about an ace nicknamed "Three Strikes", probably James, am I correct? If I do then it is not strange to see the New Federation want to send him to Europe. Actually in the last month I was also being called by them to join their rank."

"They did call you?"

"Certainly, but I rejected them. I don't want to have any association with the air force anymore. I am retired."

"Then could I hire you?"

"Huh?"

Before Charles could proceed what the sentence his friend has spoken meant, Wilson already continues:

"James"-he speaks-"I understand him the most...second most...just assume that among the people who know him the most, I stand at the third place. Whatever it is, I'm fully aware that my son is not the kind of person who would not make mistakes. Actually, he made a lot, and I cannot stop imagining that one day James would charge into the frontline for the last and won't return. I fear that, Arnold, I fear that one day I would lose my only son in this war that is why I called you here."

"How does that have anything to do with me?"

"I want to hire you to protect my son. Arnold."

Wilson frows his eyebrows. The statement was clear, he wants his friend to go to Europe and fly alongside with his son to protect him:

"I still have a large gold saving, that would be my payment-"

"No. Why should I do that?"

"Because you are why my son became a pilot, Phoenix. I hate to accept this, but to say who influenced him the most, it would be you, not me. You know why he became a pilot."