A night over Rome

Three weeks has passed since the Hawkeyers arrived in Brindisi Airport

During their stay in Italy, the pilots had gotten chances to meet many other squadrons which came from every corner of the world. Cosmo squadron for example, with a few notable members Mobius could remember aside from Milena, like Antek and Filip for one, they returned to the base just a few hours after the Hawkeyers landed, while the other came much later, some did not end their mission until the next day. Regardless, they had all introduced themselves to the Osean pilots.

Another memorable squadron is the Hospitaller squadron. They are an independent armed force, with no connection to any of the coalition' nation. Instead, their loyalties were placed upon the Military Order of Malta and the mission of "retake the city of Jerusalem" as they claimed when Trigger first approached them to ask about their unique black Gripens fighters, but he received a whole lecture about their history and goal as an alternative. Gerald Payens is the name of the Hospitaller squadron's leader.

Much less noticeably, there was an F-35C squadron from a country named Poland stationed in Brindisi as well, although that nation is supposedly over two thousand miles from here. They were nicknamed "the Winged Hussars" by everyone in the base due to the wings decoration on their crafts. The Winged Hussars are commanded by a man whose name is Ludwik Sobieski.

Brindisi is a highway airport in the Mediterranean, therefore it is a place where many air squadrons gather. However, aside from those mentioned above, none of the others left a big impression in the minds of the Osean-Belkan pilots. Nevertheless, they will work together until the end of the war, of course, if no one is going to die.

Not very long after they come to the airport, the first mission has arrived

<<I see, so that is Rome.>>

Tonight's task is rather simple: patrolling around the city of Rome, capital of Italy, to look out for any possible threat. Rome's security has been raised significantly after the Arcticia incident, out of the fear that historical sites and military hardwares here might be harmed by Russian sneaky air strikes. Thus, a night sentinel mission has been given to every squadron within Italian soil to protect the city, not excluding the Osean squadron. Right now, seven kilometers in the air, throughout the dark night, thanks to the lights from Rome, Mobius and Trigger are looking at the capital city from their aircraft.

<<Mobius to Long Caster, no hostile in sight.>>

<<Long Caster received, the others also said that there is nothing threatening to consider. All clear then. Report me if there is any abnormal activity. Bye>>

With that, Long Caster returns to Brindisi.

Trigger and Mobius are not here alone, along with them are a X-02S Strike Wyvern, piloted by Talisman, and the Cosmo squadron with their L-159s. At first, it should be just the Cosmos, but Long Caster wanted the pilot couple to test their aircraft furthermore, and Talisman, for some unknown reasons, suggested that he should go to Rome. Thus, the newly created mix of Osean and Czech jets fly to the ancient city.

<<Not really ancient, tho.>>

Turning down their expectations, the Rome they are seeing in front of their eyes is not what they want to see in a city that has been built from two millennia ago, but an absolutely impenetrable modern fortress.

Over the sky, above their head, a dozen squadrons of the newest F-35Cs, Typhoons and Rafales, many of those just unsealed two days ago are cruising in the neighborhood, the first line of defense in case the Russians breakthrough the alpine Alps defense line and enter the peninsula. And they are not the only defense measure on the sky. By the shore, USS Enterprise and OFS Whitehawk are docking, ready to send their wings into the air in time of need.