Chapter 173

Chapter 173

Empress Xu suffered from liver tumor. It is said that the disease is difficult to detect in the early stage. Once it is discovered in the late stage, the disease will be as severe as a mountain.

There is not a single case of a patient with this disease recorded in medical books who was cured.

The imperial doctors could only try to alleviate Empress Xu's pain. Even if Emperor Yongping pointed a sword at them, they did not dare to boast that they could cure Empress Xu.

The imperial doctors were of no use, so Emperor Yongping issued an edict inviting famous doctors from all over the country to come to Jinling to treat Empress Xu. However, famous doctors came one after another, but like the imperial doctors, they were helpless against the disease.

Just like a tree, if the disease is in the branches and leaves, it can be cured, but if the disease is in the roots, it is only a matter of time before the tree dies.

The more famous doctors he met, the more disappointed he became. Emperor Yongping's temper became more and more irritable. However, Empress Xu always managed to excuse those famous doctors who made him angry with her with a smile.

In just two months, Empress Xu became almost skin and bones. Not to mention her closest relatives, even Yin Hui couldn't help crying when she saw her appearance.

She had developed a close relationship with Mei Jie'er over the past ten years, and the same was true for the other people in the Prince of Yan's Mansion. As the mother-in-law, Empress Xu had never treated these daughters-in-law from the other rooms harshly. When Yin Hui wanted to go back to her parents' home, Empress Xu would not stop her. When the children had a headache or fever, Empress Xu would always go to Chengxin Hall in person to check on them. When she was free, she would chat about family matters. When she was at war, Empress Xu would personally go to the city gate. How could she not be respected and admired?

As the mother of the family, Empress Xu was impeccable.

As the mother of a country, Empress Xu deserves the title.

When Wei Ruo was on leave, the couple took their children to Linggu Temple to pray for Empress Xu.

None of the imperial doctors could cure Empress Xu, and asking the Bodhisattva to protect her safety was destined to be a luxury. Yin Hui only prayed to the Bodhisattva to have mercy, at least to let Empress Xu pass away without too much pain.

She clasped her hands together, knelt on the mat and prayed devoutly.

Wei Heng and his two siblings stood by, waiting for their parents to finish before it would be their turn. They silently observed their parents and saw the tears on their mother's face.

Wei Heng knew that his mother was really sad about the Royal Grandmother’s illness.

In Wei Heng's memory, his grandmother had always been a very kind person. One year when he was ill, his grandmother even went to visit him.

After moving to Jinling, the Empress Dowager lived in the palace, and they didn't meet as often, but occasionally the Empress Dowager would go to the academy to sit with them, or watch their performance in the classroom, or bring them some food and fruits. Jinling rained a lot, so the Empress Dowager also placed ten sets of rain gear in the academy for the brothers to use at any time.

Wei Heng's eyes turned red.

There was an even more terrifying thought in my mind.

The royal grandmother is sick, and the royal grandfather is getting older...