Chapter 143

Chapter 143

Although the case of Shi Zifeng in Shaoxing was resolved, there were still some official affairs to be handled, so Wei Ruo needed to stay for a while.

He lived in the county government office. Considering that the Xue family had lost someone and had a lot of negative energy, Wei Ruo asked Changfeng to rent a house for Wen Ruyue, temporarily bought two maids, and invited a doctor to take good care of Wen Ruyue's frail body.

He sat in the county government office during the day, and would come to visit Wen Ruyue in the evening after finishing his work.

Wen Ruyue was not physically strong enough and needed a maid to support her on the short journey from the inner room to the hall.

"Cousin……"

It has been a few days since they met again, and every time Wen Ruyue sees Wei Ruo, tears well up in her eyes and she feels sad.

Wei Ruo felt very guilty for her behavior.

If he had cared more about his cousin and sent someone to Shaoxing to check on her, instead of trusting the letters sent by the Xue family and thinking that his cousin was really in love with Xue Huan, he would not have let his cousin fall into the situation where she was almost killed.

"Don't cry, be careful not to hurt your eyes."

Wen Ruyue nodded, slowly sat down on the chair opposite Wei Ruo, wiped her tears with a handkerchief, and looked at Wei Ruo with concern: "Cousin, have you had dinner yet?"

Wei Ruo hadn't eaten yet, but he said, "I came here after eating, what about you?"

Wen Ruyue smiled, touched her belly and said, "It's good today. I can drink meat porridge and eat half a piece of date cake."

Wei Ruo clenched his right hand.

He tortured Wang and found out the whole story.

Although Xue Huan was a bastard son of the Yongping Marquisate, he had a deep relationship with his parents and brothers. When his father started a rebellion, the Yongcheng Marquisate stood on the side of the court. Xue Huan also supported Wei Ang and deeply hated his cousin. If his cousin had not given birth to a son for him, Xue Huan might have divorced her directly.

After his father ascended the throne, everyone in the Yongping Marquisate was exiled. Xue Huan hated his father and himself, but did not dare to hate them openly, so he came up with the idea of ​​forcing his cousin to write a letter to report her safety.

Wang was afraid that the matter would be exposed, so she once suggested that Xue Huan ignore her with the dowry and pretend to be affectionate with her cousin in order to win over her cousin's heart. Then she could use the relationship between her cousin and the Shu Palace to get promoted to a higher position.

Xue Huan was a man of strong character, and he could not be as flexible as the Grand Consort Zhao Mao. He would rather take the risk of being discovered by the Prince of Shu's Mansion than to face his cousin's face, and insisted on keeping her and her son under house arrest.

After his nephew died, Xue Huan even wanted to arrange for his cousin to "commit suicide out of grief." However, Wang was timid and feared that the news of the funeral would reach the Shu Palace, where a thorough investigation would uncover clues.

So the couple continued to imprison their cousin until Xue Huan suddenly died. Wang could no longer hold on and had to starve her cousin, following Xue Huan's previous evil plan.

My cousin has been hungry for so long, and now if she wants to resume her diet, she has to do it step by step.

Wei Ruo looked at his cousin's face. She was still very thin. Fortunately, after a few days of treatment, her complexion had recovered a little and she was no longer sallow.