Here Comes the Bride

I will forever hate what the writers did to Alex and Jo. They spent so many countless seasons with obstacles before they finally settled down with each other only in the end to tear them apart. I'm still working on how Alex's story will play out, but whatever I come up with will be more justice to his character than the writers ever gave him.

Gen's POV

"Wow. This is...you did not have to do this." Jo tells me as she looks around at her bridal dinner, which Meredith and I are throwing for her at my house.

"I know we don't always tell you, but your family to us Jo and we want to celebrate you."

"I'm already having the wedding. This is...this is..."

"It's dinner with friends." Meredith tells her.

"Yes. Just dinner with friends."

"Yeah don't make it weird." Arizona tells Jo.

"I never make it weird. I...I'm cool. Man." Jo declares.

"Keep telling yourself that." I state as I grab the food platter to place on the table.

"Did you make all of this?" Arizona asks me.

"Ha!!!" April lets out a big laugh. "I have spent thousands of dollars trying to teach Gen how to cook and nothing has been successful." She announces.

"She's not wrong. I can't cook a damn thing which is why all of this was catered." I explain. We take our seats and pile our plates with food.

"Benoist you're a lot of things, but a cook is not one of them." Bailey tells me.

"My brain only has room for surgery." I state.

"I hear that." Bailey clinks her glass with mine.

"Thanks again April for everything you've done for the wedding. We can't wait to see it." Jo says.

"Have you seen the venue?" I ask.

"Well we've seen photos but we've never actually went to see it."

"Never?" Maggie asks in shock. "Because I could never. I would have to see it and be a part of it and..." She stops as she notices Jo giving her a look. "I mean that's just me."

"Alex and I just trust that April knows what she's doing and the photos and videos she's sent have been amazing." Jo exclaims.

"See I didn't have to worry about venues or catering." Meredith says.

"If you could do it over would you have a party?" Maggie asks her.

"If I could do it over, I would still marry Derek on a post-it and at the courthouse. But I would have a small dinner with family. That is something I would change." Meredith shares. Jo stands up and holds her glass.

"I just want to thank all of you for being not only my friends but mentors. I wouldn't be the surgeon or woman I am today if it wasn't for all of you."

"I can say for all of us that we love you Jo and we couldn't be happier that you and Alex are going to take the next step in your relationship." Meredith says.

"It feels like yesterday that you two were yelling at each other in the hospital out of annoyance and hate and now it's with a little love mixed in." I tease her.

"We do not do it that much." Jo argues and we all give her a look. "Well, not anymore."

"It's okay. Mark was known for getting into fights with everyone in the actual hospital." I tell her.

"Sometimes with Derek." Meredith adds.

"Like three of the fights were with Derek?" I ask her.

"At least two of them." Meredith agrees.