Chapter 13

3rd POV

Japan vs Italy

The last game to determine if they'll play for the finals, to advance for the quarter finals they need to beat Italy, The Tokyo Olympics had been a whirlwind of excitement, nerves, and relentless effort. Now, standing on the court facing Italy, Michi felt the weight of the moment more than ever. The Japanese women's volleyball team had worked tirelessly to get to this point, and their dreams of advancing in the tournament hinged on this match.

Set 1:
The Italian team came out strong, their serves powerful and their attacks precise. Japan struggled to find their rhythm, and despite Michi's best efforts, they lost the first set 25-18. The team regrouped during the break, determined to bounce back.

Michi encourage " It's OK guys let's bounce back the next set "

Set 2:
In the second set, Japan showed more resilience. Michi's digs and passes were sharp, allowing Akako to set up effective attacks. Sarina and Mayu managed to score some crucial points, and the team fought valiantly. However, Italy's defense was impenetrable, and they took the set 25-22.

Set 3:
By the third set, the pressure was immense. Michi could feel the tension in the air as the team tried to rally. They managed to take an early lead, but Italy quickly caught up. The set went back and forth, with neither team willing to give an inch.

During a particularly intense rally, Mayu dove for a save, managing to keep the ball in play. Akako set it perfectly for Michi, who delivered a powerful spike. The crowd erupted in cheers as Japan scored the point. However, Italy responded with equal tenacity, and Italy won by 20-25

Set 4:

Score: 23-24 Italy was one point away from winning the match. The pressure was palpable as the Italian server prepared to send the ball over. Michi's heart raced, knowing they had to defend this point to stay in the game.

The serve was strong, but Mayu was ready. She received it cleanly, passing it to Akako. The ball was set high, and Michi went for a quick attack. The ball sailed over the net, but Italy's libero made a spectacular save, keeping the rally alive.

Italy counterattacked swiftly. Their outside hitter smashed the ball with incredible force. Michi moved to intercept it, but the ball glanced off her arms and out of bounds. The referee's whistle blew, and the final point was awarded to Italy.

The stadium erupted in cheers and applause, but for Michi, the world seemed to go silent. The reality of their loss hit hard. The dream of advancing in the Olympics had slipped through their fingers. She sank to her knees, feeling a wave of disappointment and exhaustion.

Her teammates gathered around, offering words of comfort and support. Sarina helped Michi to her feet, her eyes filled with understanding and encouragement.

"We gave it our all," Sarina said, her voice steady. "We played with heart and passion, and we should be proud of that."

The match against Italy had ended, and the sting of defeat lingered. Michi and her teammates tried to console each other, but the disappointment was palpable. The locker room was filled with a heavy silence, broken only by the occasional murmur of conversation and the rustling of gear being packed away.

Michi sat in a corner, her phone in hand. She decided to reach out to Yuki, hoping for a comforting word. She typed out a message, her fingers trembling slightly as she hit send.

Michi: We lost the match against Italy. It's hard to take, but we gave it our all. Hope you are doing well.

She stared at the screen, waiting for the familiar buzz of a reply. Minutes passed, and there was nothing.

Maybe he's busy, she thought

----------------------------------------
710 words (I promise the next chapter is longer, as of now it's 2,000 words)

I watched the Ger vs JPN match earlier and I tell you my adrenaline was thru the roof especially on the 4th set, sadly Japan lost in my opinion they had the hard time with the blocking and serving pressure of Germany. Then they ain't utilising the middle and their errors has a big factor too. But I know they'll go to the next match stronger, let's wish them the 🥰