Chapter 14

Michi's POV

The team headed back to their accommodations, the bus ride filled with a mix of quiet reflection and soft conversations. Michi looked out the window, her phone clutched tightly in her hand, hoping it would buzz with a reply.

When they arrived, Michi went straight to her room. She tossed her gear onto the bed and checked her phone again. Nothing. She decided send one more message before trying to get some rest but his silence keeps bugging michi's mind. So she texted mayu

Michi: hey mayu does your brother have a game today?

Mayu: As far as I know it's already done, I don't really have an update of him.

Michi: oh OK

Mayu: having a lovers quarel? She said teasingly

Michi: oh no, we're not even together but he is not responding to my text. Maybe he's just resting after the game that's why he didn't reply no biggie

After a few hours She sent another message to yuki, trying to keep her spirits up.

It's enough time that he for sure rested she though

Michi: How are you holding up? Miss our chats.

The message went through, but still no response. Michi's heart sank a little. She remembered how Yuki's messages had always been a source of strength and comfort. Now, his silence was deafening.

Michi: I hope everything is okay. Talk to me when you can.

----------------------------------------------------------

YUKI'S POV (flashback before their first game starts)

Team Locker Room Before the Match

Yuki sits on the bench, typing rapidly on his phone. He smiles as he reads a message from Michi, feeling a rush of giddiness. The excitement in his heart is palpable.

Yuki Ishikawa: (typing a reply) "Thanks, Michi. Your support means a lot to me. I'll give it my best out there."

Takeshi notices Yuki's distraction and walks over, frowning slightly.

Takeshi: "Yuki, what are you doing? The match is about to start."

Yuki Ishikawa: (looking up with a grin) "Just texting Michi. She's been really supportive."

Takeshi: (seriously) "I get that, but you need to focus. This is a big game. We can't afford any distractions."

Yuki Ishikawa: (nodding, putting his phone away) "You're right. I just... she makes me feel so good. But I'm focused. Don't worry."

Takeshi: (patting Yuki on the back) "Good. We need you at your best. Let's do this."

Match 1: Japan vs. Russia

The team lines up, ready to face Russia. The crowd roars, and the atmosphere is electric. Yuki takes a deep breath, feeling the weight of the moment.

Coach Blain: (addressing the team) "Alright, everyone. This is it. We've trained for this. Remember your strategies, stay sharp, and give it your all."

Yuki glances at Yuji, who gives him a nod of encouragement. He then thinks of Michi's supportive message, feeling a mix of giddiness and determination.

Yuki : (to himself) "I won't let you down, Michi. Or the team. Time to focus."

the opening match against Russia was a brutal wake-up call that this is not a normal game teams that play here are the best of the best. Russia's formidable front line and strategic plays overwhelmed Japan. Despite Yuki's attempts to rally his team, they fell 3-1, setting a discouraging tone for the rest of the tournament.