Chapter 3

Michi's POV:

Days passed, and what Oni-chan said stuck with me. We had one day off and two days to prepare for the championship game. Though he didn't stay long, he gave me some volleyball tips and reminded me to try out for the national team before leaving.

Today is our championship game. As I entered the court, something felt different. I wore my varsity jacket with my hair tied back. There was no more uncertainty or trouble on my face. Today, I was focused, confident, and in my element.

The teams were getting ready for the first set, and for the first time in a long while, I was back in the starting lineup.

Akako: "Welcome back." (Tapping my shoulder)

Michi: "Why are you acting like it's my first time back on the court?" I laughed.

Akako: "Well, technically it is. You haven't been in the starting six for so long."

I giggled and replied, "Yeah, you better give me good sets."

She just looked at me and shook her head. I looked around the arena, taking it all in, and heard some whispers.

"Is that Michi?"

"What's so great about her?"

"You'll know when you see her play."

"This ace must be a big deal, huh?"

Whistle *

signaling the start of the set.

We fought hard but unfortunately lost the first set. Our captain gave us a pep talk as we switched sides.

Captain: "Michi!"

Michi: "Yeah?"

Captain: "You know what to do."

I had been holding back, afraid of re-injuring my ankle. But losing the first set was like a cold bucket of water being poured over me. I analyzed the court, looking for weaknesses in their defense.

"Definitely, I can't go to Zone 6; their Libero is there."

"The player in zone 1 is good at receptions."

Then I looked at the girl in zone 4 and smirked.

**Whistle**

I took a breath and prepared to do a short float serve. (Imagine Aki's serve.)

It slipped through her fingers!

Captain: "Nice one, Chihi!!"

Michi: "Thanks, Cap!"

I walked to the service line again, ready to serve. There were some distractions, like fans booing and making drum noises, but I remained unfazed.

Commentator: "Another ace from MICHI YAMAUCHI!!!"

Yuki's POV:

That girl, she's stuck in my head. Not going to lie, I feel infatuated with her looks and skills.

I was just scrolling through Facebook and saw a live stream.

"That's her!"

"I guess it's already their final game."

Unfortunately, they lost the first set, but it was close, 23-25. She served first in the second set.

"Ace!"

"If that's how she plays, what was bothering her last time?"

"Don't get me wrong, she was phenomenal last time, but I could tell something was bothering her. Now, she seems back in her element."

Then Ran yelled at me.

Ran: "Yo, Cap! Stop talking to yourself; it's creeping me out." (laughs)

Yuki: "Shush."

Ran sat beside me.

Ran: "What are you watching?" (teasing tone) "I didn't know you watched JT Marvelous Team"

Yuki: "Nah, remember when I was strolling the other day?"

He nodded.

Yuki: "I passed by their gymnasium and watched a game. They're pretty good."

Ran: "Yeah, I heard there's a girl who's pretty good. I think her name is Chi?"

Yuki: "Michi Yamauchi?"

Ran: "Yeah, that's her! A bummer she was supposed to join the national team but got injured."

Yuki: "You seem pretty updated on them."

Ran: "Well, have you seen her play?! It's insane!!!"

I just nodded and continued watching the live stream.

Michi's POV:

We won the second set, finishing it with a deadly diagonal cut. Akako hugged me and patted my head, saying, "I loved the stare down at them." I replied, "It's payback for giving you attitude," and laughed.

We played until the fourth set and won! I went to my team and hugged them.

Akako: CHICHI!!! She jumped and hugged me.

Michi: Congratulations!! I hugged her back.

Commentator: Now it's time to announce players awards, The Champions JT Marvelous!!!

We went in the podium and got the medal.

Commentator: For the best setter- Akiko Ito!!

I hugged her and patted her back.

Commentator: For the best Outside Hitter- Michi Yamauchi!!

I was shocked and got teary eyed, I stood beside Akiko and get the trophy and we hugged each other.

Akako: Great job, chi!

Michi: "I couldn't do it without you." I smiled widely at her.

After the awarding, we went backstage, changed into our casual clothes and bid farewell to our teammates, Since Akako has her own car, she told me that she'd drop me off our house

While on the road, she asked me and said, "Have you thought about it yet?" I looked at her confusedly. "You know the TRY-OUTSSS" she emphasizes. "I might."

She squealed in excitement. "Finally, what got you convinced?" I said "Well my brother gave me a pep talk, and I realized there is no harm in trying. Last year was not my time but I'll make it my time this year, "she smiled. "Well, I guess let's go together. I'll pick you up in 6am, got it?" "Yes, ma'am!" I laughed.