Switched

I was warming up on the ice when Coach Reilly yells out, "Banks, Astor! Over here!"

    Me and Banks glance to each other before skating over. When we got over, Coach Reilly, Mr. Banks, Elio, Bombay, and a man were talking with each other. We both take off our helmets and I make eye contact with Bombay.

    "Are you these children father? 450 North Hennipen Avenue, is that your address?" The man asks Mr. Banks.

   I speak up. "I don't have a father and that's not my address."

    "But I'm her brother!" Elio smiles and jumps.

    "Oh, tell your mother this and is your address 625 North Nicolette Drive?" The man says after Mr. Banks said he was the father of Adam. I nod. "Well, I'm afraid there is no mistake."

    Elio made a face. "No mistake what?"

    "These children are playing for the wrong team."

    Me and Adam look at each other. "What?"

    "According to league rules, Adam Banks and Vivienne Astor should be playing for district 5."

    Mr. Banks laughs. "My son is a Hawk, not a Duck."

    "I'll expect to see them at our next game." Bombay looks towards us. "We'll have a uniform waiting for you."

    I scoff. "Hecks nah."

    "No way!" Banks adds.

    Mr. Banks points his finger at my dad. "My son would rather not play than for your team."

    "Fine, if that's the way you want it. But remember, if they play for the Hawks, you'll forfeit every game for the rest of the season." Bombay gives a grin. "Boy, I'd hate to see that."

    The man and Mr. Banks began to talk. I look at the district lines and clearly see my street within district 5's boundary.

    Just my luck.

-

    Banks and I walk to the diner. "Can't believe that-that scumbag would bring it up!" I was complaining the whole way there

    "What do you have against their coach?"

    I look at him. "Everything. Literally everything." He put two and two together and gave me a sympathetic smile. "But if I see him one more time today I'm slapping him across the face!" I kick the snow on the ground.

    "Today's your lucky day, Viv." Banks grins and points. I follow his finger and see my dad walking out of the diner.

    I smile at Banks. "$20 bucks and I'll slap him twice."

    "$10."

    "$15."

    "Deal." I grin and run up to Bombay. Bombay looks at me and smiles slightly before I clock him in the face. I clock him again on the other side. "I did NOT think you were being for real!"

    I look at my dad's shock face. "I've just been wanting to do that so bad. Thanks. C'mon Banks!" I drag Adam inside the diner. "Guess who owes me 15 bucks.

    We take a seat at the counter. "You owe me $15 if I could convince my dad to let me play hockey with them Ducks."

    I stare at him. "You're actually going to play for them..? Oh, yea, um a chocolate and vanilla shake." I tell the waitress.

    "Yea. I just want to play hockey, Viv..."

    I look at him. "If you could convince your dad to play, I'll play with you."