Hans

Adam came by everyday, telling me everything that's happened and to drop off homework. When I would go out of my room for food, I would see the high pile of papers on the floor.

    Elio stayed with Mrs. Blogs and them in the meantime and my mom's autopsy report came in.  Heroin overdose. Honestly surprised my dad hasn't flew in and swept up Elio yet.

    Shockingly, the news of my mom's passing hadn't reached the Ducks. Only varsity and my teachers knew, thanks to Scooter and Banksie.

    One day Banks came by again. "You missed our game today." He tells me through the door. "We won, 5-2. And Mr. Cogniac gave an extension for our project. I just need your name and signature."

    He slides a packet under the door. It was pretty thick. I look at the front page and see where I have to sign. I reach for a pencil and sign it, sliding it back under.

    "Kenny was asking for you today. Same with Connie." Banks tells me. "I didn't tell them about your mom as I feel like that's not my place. Oh, and Hans died late last night. Heard from Goldie."

    I didn't know Hans all too well. I knew him as the hockey shop guy, but he supplied us Ducks with our needs. So i suppose he's pretty important to us.

    "They're having his funeral in the next week or two." Adam informs. "It might be good for you to go. You know, get some fresh air."

    I scoff. "Yeah, right. What air is fresher than funeral air?" I remark, sarcastically.

    "I have to get going, V." He tells me. "Hopefully I'll see you there. Bye, love you, talk to you later." I hear him walking away.

-

It's the day of Hans' funeral and I did decide to go. Mostly because I was sick of being home and to see the others.

I put on my only appropriate black dress for a funeral. I put on tights and do a small braid with a small piece of my hair.

I go to where it was taking place and see everyone standing there. I sneak next to Banksie as the Father was saying his prayers.

    He ends it with an amen and i see a Ducks jersey getting placed on the casket. I look closer and see my father standing there.

    "Every time you touch the ice, remember it was Hans who taught us to fly." He looks at us long and slow. Looking at Charlie the longest.

    Charlie can't take it and walks away. Julie puts her flower down and the others follow her lead. Bombay hugs her and Kenny turns to say something to Adam.

    "Renny?" He looks at me. He was wearing a nice suit and his hair was combed. "Gosh, V. I haven't seen you for, like, weeks."

He pulls me into a hug and I hug him back. Adam smiles down at me. "Glad you could make it, Vivs." He hugs me after Kenny.

"Figured I had to get out the house." I release the hug. "How's everyone been, Ken?"

He shrugs as everyone disperses from the casket. "We've been good, won some games. But how you've been? I haven't seen you at your games or in class or anything."

My eyes get glossy. "Family issue." I tell him and take a shaky breath. Banks reassuringly put his hand on my shoulder. "My mom, she uh, she overdosed."

"Oh, Vivienne." Kenny hugs me tightly. "I'm sorry. I'll do your missing work don't even think about doing it or I could tell you who-"

My dad walks up behind me. "Vivienne, can I talk to you?"

Kenny and Adam look at each other before walking away. "What do you want." I stare at him, wiping my eyes.

"I heard about Penelope." He starts. "I'm sorry, I know what you're going through. But just know since I've been gone, I haven't stopped thinking about you and Charlie and the Ducks."

I cross my arms. "Why did you fly in for Hans but not my mom? I've been barely keeping up with the house with Ma's money stuff and Elio is staying with his friends. Gordon, why didn't you do anything?"

"I know I should've but I couldn't. The committee had me full and I couldn't do anything." He tries explaining.

I hold my hand up. "Don't give me your lame excuses, Gordon Bombay." I scoff at him. "You don't care about what happens to us."

"Vivienne don't say that." He tells me. "As your father I am supposed to care. I care a lot about you guys."

I roll my eyes. "Cared so much you left, right?" He stops talking. "That's what I thought."

"That's not the whole story, Viv." He whispers. "Your mother was the reason why I left." I start to walk off. "Just hear me out for one minute. Please."

I turn around and fold my arms again. "Sixty seconds. Go."

"Yes, i did leave before Elio was born i admit that." He tells me. "But I did come back. I found Penny at a bar, drunk as ever and probably on drugs too. I drove her home and took care of her and everything. You were probably about 6, Elio maybe 2."

I tap my fingers. "42 seconds."

"Anyways, i stayed on the couch for the night to make sure nothing happens and to tell Penny what had happened. You woke up before her and bashed me in the head with a pan when you saw me. You didn't recognize me. Your yelling woke your mother up."

I smile a bit at the part i hit him. "26."

"Long story short, Penny woke up and started screaming at me. You recognize me and covered me when your mother started to hit me. She grabbed the pan from your hand and tried hitting me in the head. As you were in front of me, she would've hit you."

I stop counting down. "What are you saying. My mom hit me with a pan?"

"I used my hand to block you and Penny dropped the pan. I caught the handle but it swung and got you in the head." He looks down. "Penelope blamed me for it and told me to never come back."

I rub my eyes. "So you wanted to come back but ma didn't let you?" He nods and I laugh. "I call bullshit. You left on your own and if that did happen, why didn't I remember it if I was 6?"

I scoff and walk away before he could answer.