We're Back

It's been two years since my dad left on that bus going who knows where. Apparently, ma said he became a little leaguer.

Not surprising he leaves and cuts contact for a job. Again.

The team has been good, most of them moved away. Peter went to Winnipeg, Karp to Anchorage, Tommy and Tammy to Knoxville, and Terry quit hockey to start focusing on school more.

Now it was just me, Banks, Charlie, Jesse, Averman, Connie, Goldie, Guy, and Fulton.

I've gotten pretty close with them. We have had sleepovers occasionally throughout the two years. We're all 12 and 13 now.

Connie hasn't been over much as she used to. She's mostly with Guy now. Fulton still swings around, same with Banks.

I would argue that I got the closest with Jesse. Surprising, right? We even dated for a year and a half, eventually deciding to stay as friends instead.

Goldie has been hanging with Averman and Charlie the most, mostly Charlie though.

Elio is off at soccer camp in Brooklyn Park and my mom is mostly in and out of the house. So it's mostly me and Muffins home, unless one of the kids comes by.

Which they normally do as they claim my house is the 'hangout spot.'

I was home alone as my mom had a double shift. I was clicking through the TV channels when the doorbell rang. Muffin meows and runs upstairs.

I turn the TV off and go to the door. "Hey, Ice." Fulton stands there looking at me. He was wearing rollerblading gear. "Wanna skate at the park? Heard Connie and Guy are there."

"Yeah, sure." I agree with him. "Lemme just change and get my skates." I look down at my pajamas and let Fulton come in. "Be back in five."

I head to my room and get changed. I put on some jean shorts, a white tank top, a lightweight lilac windbreaker, and my hair was in slight waves from the braids I slept in.

I come back downstairs and go towards the door, putting on my skates and helmet. I lost my knee and elbow guards, like, a month ago so I didn't put them on.

"C'mon, Fulton!" Fulton and I skate to the park. "Look who we have here." I point to Larson, McGill, and Brownson. "They put a trip wire for the Ducks."

Fulton looks at me and grins before walking right before the boys. "They won't know what hit em." Fulton does a deep voice.

The boys agree and laugh. "Who said that?" Brownson looks confused and the trio turns around.

"Hi, guys." I hear Fulton say. He then proceeds to completely clock them all. He was pulling them, throwing them, stripping them, man handling them.

I get a great idea as I undo the trip wire. "Bring em over, Reed!" I tie the boys to a tree.

"That'll teach ya to mess with the Ducks!"

"Yeah!" I add a Fulton finishes. The Ducks all cheer and laugh. We follow Charlie downtown to the diner.

Bombay was standing there waiting for us. The team all cheer and skate around him, while I reluctantly join in with them. How did Charlie know my dad was in town before I did?

My dad starts to talk. "Welcome back, Ducks. I really missed you guys." Then why didn't he try to reach out if he missed us so bad? "Are you ready to fly?"

Connie grabs my shoulders and she cheers for us. A limo honks and pulls up to us. A grey-haired man wearing a suit sticks his head out. "Hey, guys! I'm Don Tibbles, Hendrix Hockey Apparel. We're your official sponsors. Anybody want a card?"