Varsity

I was leaving science class late and I see kids running out the cafeteria. Russ, Fulton, and Charlie were in the front, with varsity close behind.

    I laugh at that and go to the cafeteria to watch lunch. "Hey." I plop down next to Adam. "What I miss?"

    "Charlie and them messing with varsity." He responds, eating his pizza. "Ready for practice?"

    I open my water bottle. "Neutral." I shrug and eat.

-

    Adam and I look at each other before stepping onto the ice when varsity was getting talked to by their coach. "Hey, JV scums! Your practice is later." The captain says.

    "Riley, shush." The coach tells him and gestures for us to go next to him. "As I was saying, we have two new players. Ones for first line, other third."

    The goalie looks vaguely familiar to me. "Coach, which one is first line?"

    "Holland, I was getting there." The coach says again. "We have Vivienne Astor and Adam Banks. Banks is third line center, Astor is first line center and left."

    Riley scoffs out loud. "A girl is on first line?"

    "She was nicknamed 'Bash Babe' for her offensive skills and enforcer skills." Coach says. "She's an excellent athlete and a good addition for this team."

    I look at him sheepishly. "Banks is a good addition too. His scoring ability is amazing."

    "Yes, they are." He agrees and continues to address the team. "Everyone 15 laps before scrimmaging. Banks on defense, Astor on offense."

-

    We finish our laps and I just stand on the ice, not knowing where to go. "Hey, Vivienne!" One of the goalies says as they skate up next to me. "You're on my team, come on." He gestures to his net.

    "Oh." I skate beside him. "You look like a guy I beat up."

    He laughs, confused. "We've never met before."

    "Are you Icelandic? You look like a Gunnar." He reminds me of that hockey player from Iceland.

    He shakes his head. "Born and raised in Minnesota. And the names Scott, but everyone calls me Scooter."

    "Oh." I look at him. He has a very nice face. "I'm Vivienne, but people call me Astor, Viv, Vivi, V, and Renny. My mom calls me Renèe."

We reach the net and on my team i got the captain. Apparently his name is Riley, or something.

"We'll do what we always do." He says. "This time, we have to let the girl join." He looks to me and the others do to.

A blonde kid tilts his head. "I thought girls aren't supposed to play hockey."

"Cole, don't be sexist." Scooter slides his helmet on as Coach blows his whistle for us to start.

-

It was near the end of the scrimmage and both teams were tied, 1-1. And damn was varsity good.

I get the puck and they all try to bump me for it. "Come here, pretty girl." One was saying, fighting for the puck. "Be a good girl and give me the puck."

"The fuck you just say?" I stop skating and Riley gets the puck. I turn to the person.

He smirks and skates off. I'm not letting this slide. I go skate behind him and shove him to the ice with my stick.