Chapter Five

Chapter Five

August 24th

I yanked my body as far away from Tom as possible. I almost had the urge to shut the door in his face and make him leave. I reminded myself of our break-up and looked up at Tom, taking in his appearance.

He still had that disheveled bed head look to his hair, though he did highlight it a light honey blonde a couple more times than I had last seen him. He had bags under his green eyes, which seemed to look exhausted and tired, as if he’d been up without sleep for days. His skin was looking a bit pale, despite his natural tan. He had that five o’clock shadow that mean him so much more charming and attractive, too. I glanced down and began to ogle more than just his pretty face. His clothes were wrinkled, as if he’d just thrown them on last minute. I could still tell his body was as muscular and well-rounded before we broke up. Tom looked a little out of shape, but still as handsome as ever.

“Tom,” I said calmly, “why are you at my door?”

“Why were you hugging me?” He shot back, smirking.

“I thought you were someone else. Now, answer my question.” I quickly told him.

“Could we talk inside? This is a little private,” he asked, taking a step forward.

My hand shot out, blocking him from entering my house. I shook my head slowly as I moved my body in the center of the door frame. There was no way Tom was going inside my house. I knew every trick up his sleeve; I wasn’t going to fall for a single of them. Not this time around.

“No, Tom. You can say what you want right here,” I said firmly.

He sighed deeply before beginning. “Honestly, Allie. I didn’t know you got your hearing back until these rumors about you started,” I took in a sharp breath. Is that why he’s here now? Because I’m slightly famous due to some bad rumors? He must have seen the look on my face, because immediately he began to correct my thoughts, “Hey, hey, hey! Don’t look at me like that. Let me finish.” When I looked at him in silence, he continued, “I was already thinking about you before all these rumors about you started, but I was thinking that I missed you. I made a big mistake, Allie. I want you back. I still love you. I still have feelings for you. Please, Allie.”

“And what would you do if I suddenly lost hearing?” I asked him, “Would you bother to relearn sign language again? For me?”

Immediately, Tom nodded. “I would do anything to have you as mine again Allie. Anything.”

“Would you give me space and stop calling me every two hours to check up on me?” I asked, narrowing my eyes.

Tom nodded, keeping silent.

I closed my eyes for a second before inhaling deeply. “No, Tom. The right answer is you wouldn’t. You would always worry about me, whether I’m okay or not. You would relearn sign language for me, but you would never give me the space I need. Tom, the reason we broke up is because of your protective issues. I love having a guy that’s jealous - it’s cute. But when it comes down to your level, where you practically stalking my every move, that’s when it becomes downright creepy. Tom, you can’t leave me alone and I can’t handle that. I’m sorry, but I can’t take you back, Tom. I’m sorry.”

Just then, Niall brushed past Tom with a grin playing across his lips. My grin mimicked his as I pulled him in for a hug. He handed me the bag and I took it, whispering, “Go on inside. I have to deal with this guy first, then we can hang out.”

Niall nodded silently and disappeared behind me. I looked at Tom, seeing anger flash through his face. “So that’s your boyfriend, uh?”

I forced the tomato blush down as I bit the inside of my cheeks. “No, that’s Niall. He was my best childhood friend.”