thirty

a familiar group of rowdy boys are swarmed in my homeroom class again, in the back as usual. however, today chorong and the rest of seojun's friends are crowded around taehoon's table as they hunch over the tiny device in the curly-haired boy's hand.

i approach the group, but fail to garner a single individual's attention. "has anyone seen seojun?" i ask them, to which chorong barely tears his eyes away from taehoon's phone. they're looking at a dance cover of "bang bang bang" by big bang.

"nope, but if you see him, can you ask him if he wants to join our saebom festival performance group? we're auditioning," chorong points to taehoon's phone.

"ask suho if you see him too," taehoon chimes in, to which chorong replies, "he'll say yes as long as we can convince jugyeong to ask him."

"okay, i'll have sooah ask her then," taehoon is practically a strategist who plays his connection cards cleverly. suho would never agree to join a performance group, especially the saebom festival, but he would if jugyeong convinced him.

i exit the classroom and wonder where seojun could be if he wasn't hanging around his buddies. i check the corner with the old discarded desks that his friends like to occupy during breaks. no one's there.

i check the vending machine spots and almost gave up after that. i am walking on my way back to the classroom since it's getting a bit chilly outside, but i stop when i hear two voices arguing. i crane my head to see two individuals standing under a willow tree, and it seems like they're arguing.

seojun and gowoon?

i hope this is one of their petty fights over who left their laundry on the bathroom floor (most likely seojun) or who forgot to clean their hair from the bathroom drain again (probably gowoon). i turn on my heel and begin walking towards the two.

as i get closer to them, i get the feeling that i shouldn't intervene. they're siblings, after all.

i decide to stand behind a concrete wall that hid me from their view, while still being able to hear their conversation a bit.

"-i can't believe you're siding with that idiot now, i thought you hated him!" gowoon's frustrated voice could be heard.

"gowoon," seojun sighs in frustration as he runs a hand through his hair before sharpening his gaze on her. "you don't just fucking make out with his best friend just because he moved on when you told him to. it's not like he even did anything, he just went on a date with a girl!"

"that's the whole fucking point! if he really loved me, he wouldn't have done that! he should have fought for me no matter how much i pushed him away!" gowoon's voice cracks as she confesses she's in still in love with juyoung. tears begin to slip out of her eyes as she tears her glasses off her face and cry into her palms.

seojun decides not to scold his sister any further and instead wraps an arm around his her while patting the back of her head softly. his eyes wander around until he spots me in the corner peeking my head out from behind the cement way. he raises an eyebrow and i just slowly emerge from behind the wall.

he shakes his head no, and i realize that gowoon probably doesn't need any comfort other than the one from her older brother right now. so i point to the classroom building and he nods, then i wave at him.

i don't see him at lunch so i excuse myself halfway through and check the classroom. there's no one in the room so i go to my desk to retrieve my phone. i notice that there's another envelope on my desk.