eighteen

all eyes were focused on the brown-haired boy. he gulped, which made his adam's apple protrude for a second as the boy placed his hand on the lie detector toy. sooah stared at him with hopeful eyes as her hands clasped together. kang soojin watched all of this tension with a hard-to-hide smile.

"no."

it buzzed.

sooah's eyes have never grown so wide before. she slapped her hand on top of taehoon's to press it firmly against the lie detector and asked, "did you ever want to break up with me?"

"no." his voice was almost shaky, as the rest of us watched sooah's fury slowly unfold. i have never seen her like this before. kang sooah felt all the denial in the world yet she trusted a mere lie detector toy than the words from her boyfriend's mouth.

it buzzed again.

sooah's scowl grew wider, causing even lee suho to scoot away from sooah that sat next to him.

"again. you better think carefully," sooah's usual playful expression vanished without a trace.

"did you, or did you not want to break up?" she asked firmly, her hand squeezing taehoon's so tightly as he yelped, "no!"

it buzzed.

"you fucking bastard. we're over!" sooah screamed and got up as she grabbed her purse. she hit taehoon in the head with it and he winced as he yelled, "baby no! please it's not true, i love you!"

"shut up!" then sooah ran off. taehoon scrambled up from his seat and chased after the short-haired girl, followed by hyunkyu who wanted to get away from soojin. and of course, jugyeong joined in since she was just as concerned.

"well, it can't be a coincidence if it buzzes three times in a row," suho muttered as he picked up the lie detector that taehoon abruptly dropped to the ground earlier.

"song hyojin is the dumbest motherfucker ever. she has the worst grades in the entire class," suho said, and put his hand on it, as it dinged.

"well it's not broken for sure," suho remarked, and he handed the object around for the others to try.

"what the fuck," i glared at him. "how can i be the dumbest motherfucker when you just caused the biggest lovebirds of the century to break up??"

"to be fair," suho threw up his palms in defense, "taehoon asked for the worst."

"and your dumbass took it so literally," seojun brought a hand to his forehead and muttered
something among the lines of 'how on earth is this fuckwad academically gifted but so socially stupid?'

the group slowly disbanded since a few went on to check the credibility of the lie detector, and others dispersed to do their own things. jugyeong shortly reappeared to chat with me after the whole ordeal and said that sooah had locked herself in the girls' bathroom.

i had my eye on seojun since i really wanted to go apologize to him but he went off with his friends to the creek where some other students were swimming in.

"don't you think it was weird for soojin to join us earlier? i feel like she had no good intentions," jugyeong found a bench for us to sit on that faced the campground and its tents.

"i think so too. maybe she wants to hangout with us again but i just don't think that's possible. you know, especially after everything she's done," i told her and one look at her distracted face told me that this wasn't the big issue that was lingering in her mind.