Chapter 31

Y/n's pov:

Two weeks after returning to Seoul, I scheduled a meeting with Jung Hyun's mother at a restaurant nearby my office. It was lunch hour so I was waiting for her at our booked table, my heart racing with anticipation.

After five minutes of waiting, she finally showed up. “Hello, Mrs.Ahn.” I stood up, bowing my head out of respect. “Hello dear. What's the reason you wanted to meet me so eagerly?” She smiled before taking a seat across from me as I also sat back.

“Ah, well.. Shouldn't we order first? What would you like to take?” I passed her the menu card. “The lunch is on me today.”

“Oh dear, thank you but I had lunch earlier.” She passed an apologetic smile. “Oh. You can order any drink or dessert item then. I would feel bad if I let you go like this after asking you to meet me.” She smiled again. “If you insist.”

We placed our order and caught up with recent incidents of life and society. It was in the middle of a workday so the restaurant didn't have many customers which made our order arrive earlier than expected.

“You still haven't said why you wanted to meet me.” She dug into her Tiramisu cake. “Well… I…” I nervously sipped on my iced Americano, trying to rehearse the scripted words mentally. I made a script of how I would address the topic when I would meet her but it seemed like the words got stuck in my throat.

“Don't hesitate.” Mrs.Ahn said when I remained silent. “Tell me whatever you have in your mind. I have a feeling you have a lot to say.” Her reassuring words brought me some ease. “That's true. I have a lot to say.” She gave a cart nod. “But let's finish our food first.” I deliberately bought us some more time so I could rehearse the script mentally one more time.

“Well, now tell me what's the matter.” She pushed her empty plate aside. I took a deep breath, easing myself to spill the truth. “On the engagement night, I got the rings stolen.” If I was telling the truth, then why not tell it all?

“Why?” A frown swiped away her smile. “So the engagement would stop.” We fell into a disturbing silence as her face betrayed no emotion. 

“You don't want this wedding?” I nodded when she asked after a minute. “Why?” She again asked, this time amused by my admission. “Because I love someone else.”

“Oh.” She straightened up, looking away for a second before her eyes met mine again. “Do your parents know?” “Yes. But my father is opposed to me disobeying him. So I had no choice but to resort to you.” And hope you would resort to canceling the wedding.

“I am glad you told me all this.” She spoke after another pregnant pause. “I respect your opinion and I'll make sure you don't have to commit to a relationship you don't want.” My eyes lit up.

“Really?” My voice was a little louder than intended as she smiled at me. “Yes. We are humans Y/n. It is okay to not have feelings for one person and have them for another one. And I also believe, our pair is always written from earlier so no matter what we do, we will always end up with our significant one.” 

No one would believe how happy I was feeling right at that moment. I never imagined the conversation would go like this. If I knew, I would have met her before the engagement instead of pulling that stunt.

“Thank you, thank you so much! I am glad you understood my situation.” When my own father didn't. “It's okay dear. I am also glad you got honest with me. You don't have to worry about anything else, I'll take care of the rest.”

<->

After the lunch hour, Jungkook asked me to alert everyone for an urgent meeting, giving them ten minutes max to gather at one place. Per his order, we gathered in his cabin after five minutes only.