Chapter 6: His Truancy

Sage

Two weeks later

No one told me that I could miss someone this much after a few fleeting interactions. Every day since I rejected him my mind would drift to the few conversations we had and the possibilities if I had only said yes to his offer. I would be staring at my screen while working thinking about him. Or showering and my mind would gravitate to the touch of his hand on my body. I caught myself smiling for no reason, or Ronnie would shake me out of a daydream and tease me afterward. Soraya texted to check how the date went with Mr. Heinrich. When she found out that I didn't say yes she sent the text 'Chicken' and ended the conversation. I rolled my eyes when I saw it. I can see her shaking her head slowly in disappointment after sending it. It's scary sometimes how I know my sister and my mom quite well. On the other hand, Mommy was pleased that I saved the future of my career. "It's simply the principle, Sage," she said. What she didn't know was that I was having second thoughts about this path I chose. I couldn't bring it up to her just yet until I had weighed everything about my other options and explored what steps I needed to take to get there. And, I was in a mental mess after rejecting Mr. Heinrich's offer. I thought I would see him the next day, but he never showed up to work and sent a vague email to everyone in the office about taking some time off to deal with the other businesses his family-owned. As a billionaire, he was involved in all of his family's ventures. Pretty impressive. When the days went by without seeing him coming into the office, I had to admit to myself that I missed him. He added a gallant aura to the office space. I hope I didn't bruise his male ego or some stupid shit like that. That would be a turnoff. I was looking forward to seeing him and stealing glances across the office. Overall making out what our interactions would be like after everything. He refused to give me that satisfaction. I was livid. My longing was deep and I was becoming a victim of his invisible hold on me. How the tables have turned. Interesting. Today was no different I would bring Ronnie her breakfast, chat, laugh, and leave. My gaze held on the path towards his office door. I needed to see him. To take in his face. Discern any emotions in his icy blue eyes. In spite of this desire, it was another day without him. It was tense. We had a meeting, and everyone in the department was present, Ronnie was leading, and Sher took her chance at impeding every decision Ronnie made with the branding. It was a heated match going back and forth between the two.

*******

"I can't stand her!" The door echoed behind us as we barged into Ronnie's office. She was pacing back and forth in front of me like a wild animal. I sat on the chair in front of her desk. Watching her plot, plan, and curse frantically.

"Who the hell does she think she is?"

"Calm down, V," I soothed. Ronnie turned to me with venom in her eyes.

"Don't fucking start with me, S. It's damn well patronising," she spat out.

"I'm only saying not to let Sher ruin your mood for the rest of the day. She's an obvious bitch, and you know she purposefully does things to get under your skin."

Ronnie stopped pacing for a bit. She turned to me, closed her eyes, and began visibly breathing in and out.

"You're right. I don't want to think or talk about Sher right now. Mr. Heinrich and I, are going to have a serious discussion about her work ethic. It's beginning to feel like harassment. I'm tired of it."

My mood shifted at the mention of his name.

"It sort of is harassment at this point."

Ronnie sighed, then let out a frustrated noise. She stopped suddenly and a little creepy smile slithered onto her face.

"You know what would make me feel better right now?"

"No, what?" I asked puzzled.

"Ice cream. I want ice cream," she beamed.

She finally looked at me, and her smile dimmed. An unease engulfed Ronnie's features, and she stepped forward, locking our eyes together.

"Hey, what's wrong?"

I sighed.

"I didn't want to ask, but do you have any idea when Mr. Heinrich is coming back?"

Ronnie rolled her eyes at me dramatically, flaying her hands above her head.

"S! You had me worried. I thought something was seriously wrong with you there. No. He sent me a standard leave email and had another for the department or the entire building automated. Who knows when he'll be back? I'm hoping he will stay in a good mood. 'Cause I can't stand it when he's all abhorrent."

"Yeah, this version of him is nicer."

Ronnie turned with a sneaky smile on her face. "Am I sensing a hint of yearning for Mr. Finerich? Oooh, now you wished you went out with him."

She laughed.

"No! Stop it. I am... I have been..."

Ronnie was teasing me with her fingers. She was putting me on the spot and making me regret my decision.

"Stop it! I don't know what you're getting at."

She didn't stop. She continued her ridiculous teasing.

"I've been thinking about him a lot lately," I admitted, rolling my eyes simultaneously. "Now stop. You're upsetting me."

Ronnie ultimately stopped and began laughing. "I knew it!"

I gave her an annoyed look.

"There's nothing wrong with thinking about your potential man." She howled in laughter. "Okay, okay, let me stop. There's nothing wrong. Just saying." She held her hands up in defense.

"He's not my potential anything. He's my boss. Our boss."

She looked at me quizzically, "Is that what you tell yourself at night after masturbating to him?" She squinted her eyes at me as if she was seriously curious.

"Stop!" I wheezed out.

We laughed so hard before it dwindled into both of us catching our breaths.

"Let's get ice cream. I demand it as your boss for the time being."

"Isn't that an abuse of power?"

"No silly, because now you work for me for the rest of the day. ¡Vamos!"

We gathered our purses to leave when I stopped at her door and asked, "So you don't have any clue when he's coming back?"

"Girl, bye! No, I don't." She stepped past me.

"How about using your magical powers and finding out?"

"No."

She continued walking as if I hadn't asked her something important. I noticed she wasn't stopping and ran behind her to catch up.

"Ronnie!"