Chapter 12: God Has a Sense of Humor

Noah, picked up a bouquet of red roses that lay on his bed. They had arrived earlier than he had expected but it was a good sign, that everything was going as planned.

It wasn't as though he was superstitious and believed that some occurrences meant either bad luck or good luck but, on a day as special as this he was willing to believe in anything.

"Noah, can I come in?" A voice called from outside his room.

"Sure." He absentmindedly replied.

A young girl, entered into his room and shut the door behind her. "Mom said I should check up on you."

"And were you supposed to tell me, Valerie?" He eyed his younger sister, slightly amused at her honesty.

Valerie, shrugged and sat on his dressing table. "I don't think so but lying feels stressful. So are you? I gotta report back to the commander of the ship."

"I'm more than fine, why would she ask such a question?" Noah, turned to look at his reflection in one of the many mirrors in his room.

"How am I supposed to know? Ask Mom if you're so curious." She answered automatically.

"Valerie, talk."

"Isn't it obvious? Even I am worried about you."

"Why?"

"Noah, you always try to avoid hosting parties and suddenly you wake up one day and tell Mom you want to host one?"

"Maybe I'm finally maturing?"

"Then why did you ask Mom to lie to the invitees that she's the organizer and not you? Valerie further questioned, not having his excuse.

"Just because I wanted to, I decided to be different."

"Or was it someone that made you want to be different?"

Noah, smiled at the accuracy of his sister. "Ding ding, you hit the jackpot."

"I knew it! Spill!" She practically yelled.

"Have you noticed that I always frequent that amusement park for cotton candy?"

Valerie, nodded excitedly. "Of course I do. I knew something was up when you always went to that creepy place. I just concluded that you'd fallen into the life of crime, who knew you were having a passionate affair." She giggled, happy that someone made her brother want to try.

"Passionate affair seems like a stretch. We're just friends right now and she has no idea about my feelings."

"Oh, so it's one sided? That's sad."

"I guess so." Noah muttered.

"So basically you planned a party for her without her knowledge, invited her as though it was Mom's event, and now you'll give her those flowers on the bed?"

"Yes, that's a simple summary."

"So how would you hand it over? Wouldn't she find it weird if you shove it in her face the moment she comes?"

Noah, chuckled at the slightly tempting thought. "No I won't. At the end, I'll tell her how I feel and offer the flowers."

"And what if she rejects you?"

Noah, remained silent. He had thought that far but, he didn't want to imagine the possibility of her turning him down outrightly.

But if he didn't tell her now, then when would he?

"Then I'll accept it that way."

***

"Tell me this isn't a dream." Alice  whispered as she stared in awe at the ballroom. "This is amazing Noah." She turned to look at Noah, who beamed at her compliment.